Z650 Resto Project

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Postby smek » Wed May 30, 2007 1:19 pm

that's the thing about the 4th dimension.. it sucks you in, you think you can see the bit in plain sight. but walk in and look back and all you'll see is a wall of parts where the entry used to be!
smek
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 pm

nice photos Billy - and that section is the good 'clear' section where footholds are actually possible !! :shock: :lol:

Mick - I just snagged a complete ignition system for a Z750 off e-bay for $75 inc. postage, it will be here shortly. They pop up every now and then, and when they do, I strike............Like A Tiger !!!

The ignitor coils from this most recent purchase may need to be used on that B1 1100 that is getting fixed at the moment, I am still not sure if the ignitor coils are the problem.... :? But should know once the head goes back on and Barry kick's it in the guts........ :lol: :lol:

I need a couple more complete ignition systems............but in the meantime, when I finally track down the old backing plate with points etc, from the '77 z1000, you can have these (points were almost brand-new).

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby ProblemChild » Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 pm

i visited gos s place the other day, first time in a while. shock horror the fourth dimension actually has a floor :shock: , the first time it has been seen in years.as to the number of bikes i would hazard a guess of around 15 :?: ,maybe.
dirty,mean&mighty unclean,
Im a wanted man
im slightly schizophrenic me & me & me agree
GRAVELRASH | rock on facebook or GRAVELRASH on Reverb nation
ProblemChild
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby MickLC » Thu May 31, 2007 11:46 am

Points and condensors are on their way from Canada, so don't worry too much about the old backing plate....but if you don't end up needing the Z750 system I might have a bit of a chat with you ;)

I currently have the 115 main jets in. Everything seems much better since it's had a longer run, I rechecked the timing and dwell, and put the "new" fuel tap on, but it's still a bit stumbly from 3/4 to full throttle over about 4,000rpm. I'm going to leave them in for a little while and give it some good long runs around the Cotter once it's got rego, then play around with some proper plug chops to see how it looks...the lap around Fadden Pines just isn't long enough I think and the plugs were getting gunged up with the bigger jets in. I have to keep my eye on No 2 cylinder though cos it's the one that seems to be a bit leaner than the others :?

I also noticed the backing plate for the points had been bent in a previous encounter with the road and the advance mechanism had been brushing against the back of it. I flattened it out a bit more and reset everything. Hopefully that helps a bit too.

It had a good run this morning in the cold Canberra air in the hopes that I could get the inspection done on it today, but they can't fit me in until Tuesday next week :roll:
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby Gosling1 » Thu May 31, 2007 5:38 pm

well that is all sounding very positive, I can't wait to see your body english on this rig at speed on the Tharwa Bends !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have many things to find in the 4th dimension........not the least of which is a rear seat-pad for PC's single seat we are going to use on his 750/1200 hybrid :twisted: :twisted: (can't wait to see *that* baby in action either :P )

that bloody seat unit went into the shed and almost *immediately*, the rear seat-pad bit went missing..... :? - its in there.......somewhere.....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby MickLC » Thu May 31, 2007 5:52 pm

Yeah, but it's still not great. I pulled the plugs when I got home. 1 and 4 all sooty, 3 a nice tan while 2 is clean as a whistle...almost too clean. I'd swapped them around yesterday and put a sooty one from 1 into 2 and now it's clean. I'm pretty certain the carbs are OK now cos i've cleaned them so many times and not found anything wrong with 2...so any ideas what else to look at now?
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby Gosling1 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:12 pm

1 and 4 are fed by the same coil/points unit.....so that sounds a bit like an electrical issue ? Check all the wiring connections, and the additional solenoid you bunged in for the coils. Can you take this out and go for a ride with the standard set-up ? it might be worth doing this just for comparitive purposes.

#2 being white - thats a worry. Check the rubber intake boot, sometimes the cracks can be *hairline* and hard to see......if you spray some wizards piss around the boot when its idling, this should show up any leaks. This problem sounds like an air-leak somewhere, causing the lean condition....also check the small take-off tubes for vacumn hoses (balancing) - sometimes the little rubber boots that sit on these can also harden up and leak air....

Keep up the hard yards. These things are never *easy*, although I think you are on the downhill run now.....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby MickLC » Thu May 31, 2007 7:56 pm

I'll double check the wiring, but it will be a bit tricky to take the solenoid out again. I was thinking after I posted that they are off the same coils so it is worth checking...maybe 1 and 4 are a bit pissweak in the spark department

I sprayed so much wizard's piss on those boots checking for leaks they smell like the Hogwart's Boys Toilet...didn't seem to make much difference :? ...I'm thinking I might pull them off and redo the sealant on them and have a good look at them while I'm at it

....I did get the chance to show it to the guy I bought it off today though....I think he was struggling a bit seeing the old girl looking pretty again :twisted:
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby the kid » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:23 pm

Mick might be worth balancing the carbs ? And when you say no. 2 is too clean , is it firing . Sometimes a "partial" miss can be hard to pick up and the plug can get "washed" by unburnt fuel .
Put your hand on the headers when you start it up and compare with the others .
But then again it might be running a whole lot better than it sounds by reading about it .
Try swopping some coils with some known good ones maybe ? Maybe for test purposes you might try some z1000 ones :twisted: if you could pinch /borrow some :twisted:

Howarts Boys Toilets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Mick :lol:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby MickLC » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:43 pm

I've had a play with quite a few things now. Resealed the carb boots, cleaned the idle circuits, changed jets a few more times, fiddled with the air screws etc etc.

One thing I read elsewhere was a similar problem to mine being caused by the timing marks being out. I thought I'd give advancing things a little bit a try, especially as it's obviously had a hit on that side at some stage and it was fine at below 4,000rpm at full throttle. Well bugger me if that didn't suddenly make it pull a lot better at higher revs! It's still not perfect but it's heaps better, and I reckon the new points and condensors may even improve it a bit more when they turn up cos these ones are a bit pitted.

All the plugs are looking better too, except 4 which is still a bit on the sooty side.

Getting there slowly but surely...and the chicken strips on the new tyres are slowly disappearing too :twisted:
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Mick C wrote:..... and I reckon the new points and condensors may even improve it a bit more when they turn up cos these ones are a bit pitted.....

the new condensers will help a lot at higher revs, they need to be in good nick to work properly over 6 grand or so.....

It will be great to see this babyZ out on 'The Loop' in the near future !!

ps have done a bit more cleaning in the 4th dimension, and found some of that Z750 generator/stator stuff....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby MickLC » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:08 pm

Went for the rego inspection today and passed with no problem. His only comment was the bit of play in the swing arm which I knew about.

So if I get any more free time this week I'll be in the queue at the shopfront with my paperwork, old plate and credit card in hand ;)
MickLC
Team Crim

Postby mike-s » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:04 pm

Well for something totally offtopic, i was reading through the haynes manual for my gsx and found the part on the forks. It advised that the forks use 150cc each of 50/50 10-30 mineral oil and Auto transmission fluid!!!!

b.t.w. congrats on getting the beastie up to spec, dont burn out any more rectifiers ok?
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby the kid » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Mick C wrote:Went for the rego inspection today and passed with no problem. His only comment was the bit of play in the swing arm which I knew about.

So if I get any more free time this week I'll be in the queue at the shopfront with my paperwork, old plate and credit card in hand ;)

Good work Mate , congrats on the "pass" :wink:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:29 pm

excellent news mate - hope to see it out and about soon.........

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion