GPZ550 82H1 - THUNDERSTRUCK

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: GPZ550 82H1 - THUNDERSTRUCK

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:40 pm

yep, that's the deal - the starter motor draws a shitload so they bunged in the biggest battery they could fit.......

If you could fit a kickstarter, then you would be able to fit a much smaller battery - the regulator just needs somewhere to dump any excess charge......you could probably even use one of those massive capacitors that the doof-doof boys use on their big amps. I seem to recall this type of thing being used in some dirt-bikes ? Battery Eliminator ? A battery is just a big capacitor really......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby metaltriumph » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:49 pm

i got my clips ons from this seller - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/250champ/m.h ... ksid=p3686

much cheaper, really fast delivery.
metaltriumph
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby davo231481 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:02 pm

pick up my frame from sand blasters next week. packed up and sending off head to get some work done. c;eaning up brake parts for painting and about to order steering head bearings. just about stripped off all paint from wheels. picked up swing arm bearings the other week and had to go genuine. the wait is starting to get to me particulalry with the riding season now in full swing
I only drink to make my friends more interesting.
davo231481
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:12 pm

davo231481 wrote:......pick up my frame from sand blasters next week......

try and get it from the sandblasters place within the hour of it being done, and then immediately give it a coat of undercoat.

If you leave it for even 24 hours, it will start to develop surface rust. You don't want this on a freshly-blasted frame.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby davo231481 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 pm

thanx for the tip. im getting it blasted at soda blast at hume act. got the gloves and plastic sheeting ready for the trip back. and packets of deoxidiser
davo231481
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 pm

no worries - heh are you local to Canberra / Quangers ?
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby davo231481 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:38 pm

nah cooma.
davo231481
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:52 pm

aaah OK - well if you are up in the 'Berra and looking for a ride, you can check out the local action here - CanberraRIDERS

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby davo231481 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 am

you coming for the snowy ride?
davo231481
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Slow and wobbly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Update of sorts.
This "easy fixer " is of course turning into a full blown replace everything and will be never ending as usual :roll:
Nevermind. Progress is being made.
Got the clip ons fitted. The Acewell dash is fitted and wired up. Bar end mirror fitted. Polished some engine covers while I await more parts to arrive. Waiting on a front master cylinder and the headlights to arrive before I decide whether to keep the standard switch blocks....I will probably replace them and the throttle to make it neater and until all that comes together I cant complete the wiring up the front end. Having taken the massive aluminium ingot off the top triple clamps that is known as an ignition switch and not finding a suitable place to locate it elsewhere I decided I'm going to fit up a remote ignition with remote start rather than a key switch...But that will have to be done after everything else on the front end comes together and I find the neatest solution to butchering the wiring harness.

Set of carbs arrived from Ebay. Iggy69yourmum if you happen to stumble across this your a cunt....But I've already told you that haven't I? They are toast with water in every bowl, all diaphragms are stuffed and they are more useless than the carbs I already have. So now considering flatslides instead of buying more rubbish 30 year old carbs.

Oh and not very amused to find gravel in the bottom of the engine when I removed the clutch cover. Now have to consider splitting the crankcase to see what else lurks inside.....then again it aint broke yet and the engine will be last on the hit list.
I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Postby h.b.bear » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Slow and wobbly wrote:Update of sorts.
This "easy fixer " is of course turning into a full blown replace everything and will be never ending as usual :roll:
Nevermind. Progress is being made.
Got the clip ons fitted. The Acewell dash is fitted and wired up. Bar end mirror fitted. Polished some engine covers while I await more parts to arrive. Waiting on a front master cylinder and the headlights to arrive before I decide whether to keep the standard switch blocks....I will probably replace them and the throttle to make it neater and until all that comes together I cant complete the wiring up the front end. Having taken the massive aluminium ingot off the top triple clamps that is known as an ignition switch and not finding a suitable place to locate it elsewhere I decided I'm going to fit up a remote ignition with remote start rather than a key switch...But that will have to be done after everything else on the front end comes together and I find the neatest solution to butchering the wiring harness.

Set of carbs arrived from Ebay. Iggy69yourmum if you happen to stumble across this your a cunt....But I've already told you that haven't I? They are toast with water in every bowl, all diaphragms are stuffed and they are more useless than the carbs I already have. So now considering flatslides instead of buying more rubbish 30 year old carbs.

Oh and not very amused to find gravel in the bottom of the engine when I removed the clutch cover. Now have to consider splitting the crankcase to see what else lurks inside.....then again it aint broke yet and the engine will be last on the hit list.

With a call sign of Iggy69 yourmum ,didnt that come across as a fucked up seller :shock: ,keep up good work cant wait to see this thing finished sounds 8)
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby Slow and wobbly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:30 pm

I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter
State: Victoria

Postby davo231481 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:05 pm

a pox on all scum that lie cheat and steal and particularly the turd that sold you the carbs( not to mention the scum that stole my bike back in 94. i hope he broke his knee, neck spine and or skull, when he dropped it into the creek. how are the clip ons feeling with the balance tube in place? the copper triple tree top looks the goods and now has my lil peanut of a brain thinking.the clip ons do look a bit low and i guess it all comes down to position and feel with the feet up on those rearsets. good luck with the flat slides and am open to your suggestions on that when the time comes. im pricing up a new shock as the stocker has decided to give up the ghost and leak.
davo231481
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:38 pm

lookin' good so far Ado. That dash particularly interests me for another bike I have up here......

keep up the hard yards. Have you seen the 550 cafe racer/bobber they are currently building in C&MC Mechanics ?? Looks fantastic !

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby aardvark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 pm

The dog looks terribly excited by it all... :)
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion