Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

Postby MickLC » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:19 am

Wattie wrote:
Gosling1 wrote:I think WattieLC stands for Wattie Likes Cock..............oh hang on.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ah so THATS what the LC stands for! 3some.gif

Wait, what, no....you bastards!!! :lol: :lol:
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby the kid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:26 am

FOR SALE , must go due to stigma attached , anything related to a certain Yamaha made from 79 to 82ish . Designated RD Liquid Cooled .
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 pm

OK - time for another update on the build for this baby - and get back on topic !! :twisted:

I did some more time on the motor last weekend - removed all the pistons and rings. The pistons are still in good nick, and none of the rings are broken - I would like to use new ones, but after speaking to the main UK importer of Moriwaki parts, he advises that these kits have not been available for several years now, and he has nil stock of pistons or rings..... :? - which is a bit of a shitter, because it means we either have to :

a) - Re-use the old pistons and rings, and put up with whatever power output we get. Cheap option....

b) - Buy a set of Wiseco hi-comp pistons, and have a nice crisp motor. Expensive option....

Given the condition of the existing pistons & rings, I am reasonably hopeful that a simple hone will be enough....it will certainly be enough to start and allow the bike to be ridden, but it will not have that *crisp* response you get with a brand-new top end. The upside of this is that we don't have to spend $800 on a piston kit either......

Within the next few weeks, I will have the cases split and a report on the condition of the bottom end & gearbox components.....crank rotates nice and smoothly, so that is a promising start. The gearboxes in these old donks are pretty tough, so hopefully I should be able to give all the parts a good clean - including the clutch plates :shock: :shock: (NFI what these are going to look like......) - and will bung up some pictures of the pistons / bottom end in due course.

IN the meantime - it looks like we may have landed a set of AG Strada Marzocchi shocks ! :kuda: - one of the local punters from CanberraRIDERS has had a set of these tucked away for many years - originally fitted to an old Moto Guzzi, he only did a couple of thousand k's with these shocks fitted, then took them off before selling the bike many years ago.....so essentially they are in new condition. The shafts - which rust up pretty easily - look in pristine condition, 1 shock has been re-assembled with new seals, the other one is still apart, waiting for the seal kit to be installed....

This is the achilles-heel of these shocks. They are re-buildable - which was the great selling point - but that was because they *needed* to be re-built regularly !! :lol: . Anyway, these shocks also come with the original Marzocchi manual, which is quite a bonus. For $100, worth the coin, as Phil (fezzick) - wants to keep the bike as original as possible. These shocks will almost bolt straight on to the Z1R frame, all they need is a bush for the lower mount to suit the 10mm bolt. Easy to sort that out.........here are some pics :D

More updates will be forthcoming over the next few weeks, as the motor is pulled down to the bare bones, and I have a nudge at re-building the main jet towers in those carbs :shock:

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Postby fezzick » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Oooh, shiny, shiny shocks. Brilliant, mate, absolutely freakin' brilliant. :kuda:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. Phil
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 pm

I have to admit, they were in way better nick than I thought they would be :D - with new seals and all that as well, plus the book - well its too good a deal to miss. They are only 330mm eye-to-eye, so hopefully with the frame being lowered by 15mm, they should be OK on Shadowfax. I will get Laurie to put the other shock back together before I send them both up to you.

Also, old mate in Victoria has posted up the rear hub today, so that should be here in a few days.

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby fezzick » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:59 pm

VERY cool. Guess what? The eye-eye on the existing shocks is.....330mm !!
Mate, we get the hub then the wheels re-laced, new tyres (want some suggestions there) the swingarm back from Chris Dowde and, guess what? We will have a rolling chassis.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:19 pm

don't forget to ask Chris about swingarm bearings. You will also need to fit new wheel bearings to the hubs.....and tapered bearings for the triple clamp.......

tyres ? Pirelli Sport Demons both ends. These stick well and sizes are available to suit the rim sizes. No slicks for this bike...

(it is an 19" front rim ? If it is 18"...........well I have some old Avon 18" slicks tucked away in the 4th...... :shock: )

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby fezzick » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Have already purchased tapered roller bearings for the steering head. Will talk to Chris about the swingarm. 2.15x18 front, 3.00x18 rear
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Kwakked Up » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Slow down will ya!!! You blokes have got too much time on your hands ... yeah I know I am just jealous. :mrgreen:

Great thread this one :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby fezzick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Believe me, I'd rather be working, but, since I can't do that yet, this job will do as a pretty decent substitute. :D
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Kwakked Up » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:10 am

A dammed great substitute !! Sounds like I was in a similar place as you when I started my resto but picked up a great job in the ACT recently and now have zip time for the z1000. Just gotta be patient

I wish you all the best with the build and will be stealing info from this thread at every opportunity. And I have to say the knowledge and skills Goz has are like GOLD.

Enjoy
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:30 am

Got a message yesterday about the hub - it was posted yesterday (not Tuesday ) so it should be here next week.....it will need a good clean, as it has some old peeling chrome that will need to be stripped right off.

No action on the motor this weekend, as I am setting up for the Marulan ride day tomorrow !! :kuda:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby the kid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:37 am

You can get new rings made Gos . Will check where ,
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby the kid » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:50 am

Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby fezzick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:29 am

Wow, that looks like it's worth bookmarking! Thanks.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion