KR-1

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

KR-1

Postby the kid » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:35 pm

As some probably know I have bought a KR-1 to use as a track toy . Since it was made prior to '90 I thought this may as well be the place to formally introduce it to KSRC . Anyone who is interested might like to throw some helpfull tips on tuning for both the engine and chassis

Due to the limited numbers around now , spares might be scarce but sourcing them will be part of the fun in running this little beastie .

Have found an interesting site in the UK , http://www.kr-1s.co.uk that boasts about 150 members and are really into kr's and have provided a heap of information .

So far after bringing the new toy home it has been stripped of anything to do with road use . Any wieght saving is good right ? And speaking of weight , shit its light :lol: After shuffling the 9 around the garage you nearly throw the KR on its side moving it :lol:

Next the forks were stripped to replace the fork seals (amazingly available off the shelf at Bri Kwa ) With help from Groggles Jess and Duane a "special tool " was constucted by brazing a bolt onto a section of pipe to hold the internals while undoing the allen bolt thru the bottom of the forks . Easy .... only if you can hang onto the insides :lol:
A clean up and reassembly with the spec'd amount of 10wt oil .
Springs measured up to standard but will get some firmer ones when bucks allow .

As purchased the front discs were rooted , so a search for replacements was on . We are learning as we go and with 20/20 hind sight I think I would have gone a different route but time was pressing as a track day was booked for Broadford (10-02 see track section )
The KR-1 has 280mm rotors and calipers that are unique to this model , the later KR-1S has 300mm discs and calipers that have been on a number of Kwaks including early ZX9s .
Prices for new discs is scary but found that Planet Discs had some replacement ones that he mounted up on KR carrriers for $400
Another issue with the unique nature of the KR-1 is that the pad availability is quiet limited with only organic type available (at this stage , might be able to get GoldFren in ceramic carbon?? and am waiting to hear back)
Reason for all this waffle about brakes is that at the first track day the brakes felt "uninspiring" .
Hope to get a set of braided lines made up in time for the next track session and I hpe that may make a bit of difference to feel .

Tyres are high on the wish list and want to stick a set of Dunlop GPR70s on ASAP .
This is suposed to be a cheap way to hit the track but it is now turning into a passion for fidling and modding :lol:

A set of KR-1S pipes are available from a SA wrecker and will go on as bucks allow . They are supposed to be very very good for developing power (as good as any aftermarket chambers) but are a bit heavy as they are double walled pipes .

Jetting is stock and will probably stay that way for a while . Oil pump will also stay for a bit longer too as it seems to work fine and have yet to hear of any inherent problems with it .
Putting Castrol TTS through it .

Stay tuned :D
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby MadKaw » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Good luck with it.

There was a guy at E.C yesterday who was talking to us about disks for early Kawis (he saw Gos's Pearl) and said he has a set for the KR1..
He was an old bloke, named Max, from Melbourne.
I gave Gos his card.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby the kid » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That would have to be Max from Planet Discs . He used to punt 125GP bikes and fairly quick , from what he was telling me :roll: Can talk too :roll: but seems to know his stuff .
Attachments
KR-1 003.jpg
Coming Home
KR-1 003.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
KR-1 008.jpg
2 Days Later
KR-1 008.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
KR-1 002.jpg
Trained Technicians and Kawa special Fork tool
KR-1 002.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
KR-1 025.jpg
Ready for Broady
KR-1 025.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 5452 times
WhyWomenCan_tFixCars_1.jpg
Our Team Mechanic
WhyWomenCan_tFixCars_1.jpg (105.34 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:33 pm

the kid wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: That would have to be Max from Planet Discs . He used to punt 125GP bikes and fairly quick , from what he was telling me :roll: Can talk too :roll: but seems to know his stuff .

that was him - I didn't get to talk to him, but apparently he had some discs for my Zed, that were only $900 :shock: not sure if that was a 'piece' or a 'pair'........the last pair of good original discs I got for a Z cost me $20 the pair at the Barry Sheene swapmeet last year :lol: .

Now, if these 900dollar discs were floaters, or something like that, maybe $900 is not too bad......compared to the $1100 that another guy wants for making Forgotten Era-compatible floaters for the Z..... :?

Billy I will try and locate some hot-up specs for your KR, I know they are in the library *somewhere* :oops: what year is your bike ? 85 ??

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby the kid » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:31 pm

Gos its manufacture date as stamped on the compliance plate is 11/88. designated a KR250 B , dunno if its a B1 or B2 (prob B1) . KR-1s were C models . There was a KR-1R with 35mm carbs ? but I think very rare . D models .
This is all designed to confuse when the earlier KR250 was the inline twin known as (I think ) as KR250 A :roll:

Bring on the the Hot Up tips :twisted:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:49 pm

No worries mate, with an 11/88 date, it will have been sold as a 1989 model, and is *probably* a B2. Either way I don't recall much diffference between these models, the big upgrade was the KR-1S.

If I can find something over the weekend I will post it up. If not , it will have to wait until after the WSB......

Most hot-ups for these babies just involve larger carbs, raise exhaust port 2mm, match up the transfers to the piston cut-outs, shave the head a bit to bump up the compression, do a proper job on the squish band (its 2T talk :wink: ), and most important, put a good set of spannies on !! :twisted: - Gearing will also need to be modified to suit the new power curve...... :twisted: Braided lines to help it stop, a set of Progressive springs in the front, and if you have any $$ left over, set up the rear shock properly....

8)

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Plaz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:53 pm

Sweet Billy,

When I pick up my new Trackie tomorrow night (same era and age, wrong brand) we'll have to set up a joint interstate track day at Mac Park Mt Gambier
Plaz
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000
State: South Australia

Postby the kid » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Plasma Blue 636 wrote:Sweet Billy,

When I pick up my new Trackie tomorrow night (same era and age, wrong brand) we'll have to set up a joint interstate track day at Mac Park Mt Gambier

Well well well Mr Plas , spill about the trackie :lol:

And as for the Mac Pack thing :) Groggles and I have been plotting already :twisted: Glad great minds are thinking alike .

PS don't worry about spilling , just beat it out of Ian - my lips are sealed - Stacey .
Bring it on , just like Melbourne Victory :twisted:
Last edited by the kid on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Plaz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:16 pm

the kid wrote:

And as for the Mac Pack thing :) Groggles and I have been plotting already :twisted: Glad great minds are thinking alike .

Don't know about the Great minds bit.....

As for the Trackie...... well you'll see tomorrow night
Plaz
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000
State: South Australia

Postby the kid » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:20 pm

Plasma Blue 636 wrote:
the kid wrote:

Don't know about the Great minds bit.....

Well I do , Greg and I both have great minds :lol:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Barrabob » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:56 pm

Was talking to one of the guys at work this morning and he was saying he has a kr1 with a rotax engine in it :shock: might be a interesting mod.
If I rode my bike at the speed of light, what would happen when I switched on its headlights?

Barrabob
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby the kid » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:27 am

Barrabob wrote:Was talking to one of the guys at work this morning and he was saying he has a kr1 with a rotax engine in it :shock: might be a interesting mod.

Interesting for sure , pics ?
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Stace » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:34 am

the kid wrote:
Barrabob wrote:Was talking to one of the guys at work this morning and he was saying he has seen Red Dave naked in a compromising position with a 25 stone jelly wrestler a two stroke lawn mower and a 44 gallon drum of Motul body lube :shock: might be interesting viewing.

Interesting for sure , pics ?
Christ your a pervert Billy ;-)
FASTER AND FASTER Until the Thrill of Speed Over Powers the Fear of Death
Stace
Team Bolt
Team Bolt

Bike: ZX9R

Postby the kid » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:43 am

Gosling1 wrote:
Most hot-ups for these babies just involve larger carbs, raise exhaust port 2mm, match up the transfers to the piston cut-outs, shave the head a bit to bump up the compression, do a proper job on the squish band (its 2T talk :wink: ), and most important, put a good set of spannies on !! :twisted: - Gearing will also need to be modified to suit the new power curve...... :twisted: Braided lines to help it stop, a set of Progressive springs in the front, and if you have any $$ left over, set up the rear shock properly....

Have a set of "S" pipes on the way from a SA wrecker , they are are good as they get , cept for the weight . :oops: And just a bit cheaper than a new set of aftermarket ones . :roll:
Mains are the same for both the 1 and 1s so just a bit of needle play might be all that is required to start with .
Braided lines are also on the way and hope to get them in time for Calder Park track day this Sunday :D
Standard gearing is 15/40 and seemed ok at Broady but only using 5 gears (this is not uncommon as 6th is a bit of "overdrive")
The South African version came out with 14/41 as stock , interesting .
Have bought a 14 and will try it with the 40 rear this w/end but am thinking of setting up with a 41 rear and play with 14/15and16 fronts and then maybe juggling using 5 or 6th as top gear to suit diff tracks .
PI booked for 12th March , hope it makes it :oops:
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby the kid » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:26 am

Well the KR has been going really well giving me as much entertainment off the track as on .
So what else could I do but buy another one :lol:
The "new" one was mainly bought for spares but it has the later KR-1s front end and wheels .
The wheels are half an inch wider and the brakes from the KR-1s should be "the Coota" 4 piston calipers with 300mm discs . Should pull up a 125kg bike :shock:
Have got stuck into repairing the fairing and modding the tail section for track use .
Have stuck the side panels to the tail unit and glassed over the pillion seat . Worked on filling in the lighting holes with glass and bog . Have to reform a couple of "ears' for the screen as they have been snapped off .
Purchased a couple of spray cans to paint the things in the same scheme that was originally on it , or new enough .
Having a ball . :lol:
Any one contemplating buying automotive paints in Melbourne should visit "JUST PAINTS" in Cochranes Rd Moorabbin .
The guy was so helpfull and full of advice for the painting , preping newbie . And he gave me a discount too .
Attachments
KR Fairings 001.jpg
KR Fairings 001.jpg (89.26 KiB) Viewed 5375 times
KR Fairings 002.jpg
KR Fairings 002.jpg (82.81 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
KR Fairings 003.jpg
KR Fairings 003.jpg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
KR Fairings 004.jpg
KR Fairings 004.jpg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 5373 times
KR Fairings 005.jpg
More cans than a KSRC party
KR Fairings 005.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 5374 times