New Convert

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

New Convert

Postby photomike666 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:48 pm

After spending the day at the Little River TT, I'm converted to the idea of having an old dunger. This may not be something that happens quickly, but it will happen. I have been given a few criteria from the minister of war & finance; 1) I need to sell the Kombi, which I have decided I do not have the space to restore. 2) I need to restore the 1979 AG100 that is sitting in the shed waiting for me to change the gearbox gaskets.

So, selling the Kombi shouldn't be too hard, and the AG will be good practice for a real restoration. And so to the real question, what to get? My target will be to get something in the $1500-2000 mark and work from there. I'm thinking Z650, but a Z1000 would be nice. I quite like some of the Brit bikes, Nortons and Triumph appeal - but I have no knowledge of what is good, what is hard to find parts for etc. Advice greatly recieved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Re: New Convert

Postby Six Addict » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 pm

calling gos....
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Mike - in that budget range, getting a reasonable z650 should not be too hard. They are out there, and pop up on e-bay, M/C Trader, Auto Trader etc. I think there is even a z or GPz750 for sale here at the moment ?? One of those would be a great restorer....

A z1000 for under 2grand is likely to need at least double that spent on it, to get it in reasonable nick......but I have bought the *odd* zthou for under a grand.....so they are out there. You need to be ready to go, with cash, for these sorts of bike deals.

How did you find the Little River TT as an event ? I read about this GP reunion in a recent issue of one of the local bike rags......was it a good gig ?

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby aardvark » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 am

Can anyone spell RD250LC? ;)
aardvark

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby photomike666 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Gosling1 wrote:Mike - in that budget range, getting a reasonable z650 should not be too hard. They are out there, and pop up on e-bay, M/C Trader, Auto Trader etc. I think there is even a z or GPz750 for sale here at the moment ?? One of those would be a great restorer....

A z1000 for under 2grand is likely to need at least double that spent on it, to get it in reasonable nick......but I have bought the *odd* zthou for under a grand.....so they are out there. You need to be ready to go, with cash, for these sorts of bike deals.

How did you find the Little River TT as an event ? I read about this GP reunion in a recent issue of one of the local bike rags......was it a good gig ?

8)

Am really not sure about what bike to look for, or even when. I like the old Z1000, but an old british number could be on the cards. I was looking at UK bikes, and they are way cheaper dependant on importing costs. I guess it all comes down to when I think I will have the time and money (perhaps not before the BMX world championships next year, and what is available when I do.

Loved the event, very well attended and lots of old bikes to drool over. There seemed to be well over 100 bikes, and many more people. The parade lap was interesting (managed 3 laps all up) and the minute of noise was just that. Most of those old dungers seem to run straight through pipes. Honestly, even at the high side of 10000rpm I was struggling to hear my CBR - and it isn't that quiet!

aardvark wrote:Can anyone spell RD250LC? ;)

I believe in needs a 350 in it :shock:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

Bike: ZX10R

Postby aardvark » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:25 pm

photomike666 wrote:I believe in needs a 350 in it :shock:

350's are over rated. If you have the cash, get yourself a TZ! :shock:
aardvark

State: South Australia

Postby the kid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:17 am

Mmmm
Attachments
moj6-yamTA-3.gif
moj6-yamTA-3.gif (34.71 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Ummmm let me see
the kid
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Slow and wobbly » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:40 pm

Don't analyze it too much. It's an absolute minefield with the old stuff. Just jump in and have a go with whatever you can find. The learning curve is incredibly steep. You can't just read about this stuff and expect to go out and replicate what others have done, it's a matter of grab something and start learning by doing. The people you meet and the things you come across when you are seeking parts, pieces or information is astounding.
No matter what make or model you choose make sure that whatever you acquire is a rolling and running piece of machinery. At least then you have something to build on rather than something that is a complete mess and will absorb more funds than is feasible. If your interested in anything Z for a project then go and see Ronnie down at Pakenham Wreckers. He has a couple of 650's, 750's and 900's hanging around. In fact I have found that great projects can be had at most wreckers if you walk in and offer a price on a job lot of parts and pieces as opposed to buying parts singularly.
Then again you could have a crack at bucket racing. I hear there is a Vic team in the making ;)
Dob in a hoon......http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4RFBos4 ... re=related
Last edited by Slow and wobbly on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got a sweater for my birthday. I realy wanted a moaner or a screamer.
Slow and wobbly
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter

Postby Mick Grinter » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Mate you are giving me an itch i can't scratch i have the same idea at the moment maybee.A 500 or 750 triple.Yes the smell of two stroke in the morning.
Mick Grinter

Bike: Suzuki

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion