All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's
Post a reply

Re: okay, let's get it back on the road.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:12 pm

paul w wrote:.....Been looking for seats...I can buy a new one (non-original) for $350, but I've seen a few seats for other Kawasaki models on ebay. Does anyone know if another model fits?.....

I am pretty sure the A4 900 (1976) model is almost exactly the same as far as the mounts are concerned - will check my books and confirm. The base needs to be the same shape at the rear as the ducktail, so that rules out any of the later model Z1000's, as these all use square-profile ducktail shapes.

You can also buy fibreglass seat bases from a few sources - have you had a look at US ebay yet ? There are always lots of bits for Zeds for sale there....

8)

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:14 am

Yeah, have been checking ebay...a Z900 seat went for $90 the other day, but the seller wasn't sure if it fitted a Z1000.
As for photos, lost the camera recently (along with my false teeth - don't ask) so you might have to wait.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:39 am

Has anyone checked out the after-market Z1000 seats from the various companies? By that, I mean, have you actually seen or fitted them?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:39 pm

paul w wrote:Has anyone checked out the after-market Z1000 seats from the various companies? By that, I mean, have you actually seen or fitted them?

The aftermarket Z900 seat is actually made for the early model Z1, the hinges are the same but the lock is NOT, early has a post type latch whereas the later type uses a loop affair with tow small bolts, the early seat can be easily fitted by drilling two small holes and using a tek screw to secure the loop section to the seat pan, PROVIDED you have all the bits, the seat cover is also incorect for z900 and z1000, MAKE SENSE? Or if you have a seat pan/base you could buy new seat and swap over the foam and cover but cover would still be early type. I just drilled the wo holes, used a photo as reference and drilled and fitted to mine. (z900A4)

cheers,
A.E.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:46 am

From what you are saying - the base fits? It just needs the latch to be re-aligned?
I've also seen some seats with the latch and parts separate -needs to be attached.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 am

Just ordered one. Will report on the thing when it arrives.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 am

Seat arrived yesterday.
It's fantastic - base is solid, foam supportive and cover excellent.
Fits perfectly - had to order a separate bag of goodies so it can fit the Z1000 latch.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:41 pm

sounds good - got any pictures of this seat fitted up yet ?

8)

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:14 pm

I was looking at the thing yesterday. Been quite busy with other things, lately.
The seat drops straight into the two frame lugs that hold it in place, but it has a Z900 latch, so I had to buy ($22) the extra parts for the z1000 seat latch.
All in all though, it's great, with good build quality and design. Cannot fault it.
The bike was just missing the seat, and by golly, it looked good with it on.
I'm taking the bike down to the local auto-electrician for him to get stuck into the wiring, which for some reason is in poor shape - the whole wiring loom under the tank has been sliced through, god knows when or how that happened. Electrics shit me, so he can do it.
Once the wiring's all cool, I'll start the engine and see how she goes.
All in all, the more I look at it, the less work I seem to have - it's mostly cleaning the thing. Everything else is there, and in good nick. As someone mentioned, I'll start from the front and work back.
Been checking out ebay, and there seems to be a decent supply of parts, if I need them. This weekend I plan to check the whole thing out and see what I need to replace, or have lost. I need an air filter (standard) for one, and although someone here suggested not to worry about the brake hoses, I think I'll change them just for my own peace of mind.
Was worried about the small holes in the exhaust, but have since been told of a vehicle inspector here who is is pretty cool with motorbikes - one guy went in with big metal plates glued onto the muffler holes, and it passed! So long as it's quiet, he doesn't seem to mind.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Oh, I lost my camera last month, hence the lack of photos. Just looking around for another now.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Ah, just found the camera! It was rolled up with the tent. Photos soon.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:35 pm

looking forward to the photos :kuda:

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Slowly coming along....got a new fuse box ordered, and a new air filter.
To register it in NSW, I presume I need indicators?
I don't like the stick items, never had; big, ugly chrome things. Does anyone know of some small (LED?) indicators I could shove on?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 pm

stick: stock

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Ah, just saw some mini turn signals, and cheap: US$5.00
If indicators do need to be fixed, is there a particular size or design?
Post a reply