Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's

Re: Come from the shadows - the Shadowfax restoration.

Postby fezzick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm

So it seems. At the stage of me posting that, I hadn't seen the mag, just been told about it. The article in Rabid Bikes is not about the bike, but about me...(I'm on the "About Me" page....:) Apparently the UCBE article is coming soon.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. Phil
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby Jonno » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Bloody awesome mate, I bet you didnt think it would get this far aye, maybe ya did but still fanbloodytastic :kuda:
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby fezzick » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:54 am

No, Jonno, I didn't, I can honestly say that. The project began as a "Why don't you kill some time by fixing up that old bike out the back." while I was recuperating from the accident...amazing the hand that life deals you sometimes.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Old Bike Australasia #33. Get your copy now !! :kuda:

".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby born green » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Gosling1 wrote:Old Bike Australasia #33. Get your copy now !! :kuda:

While killin some time this morn, had a sqizz at rapid mag, and yep, towards the back, there it was... cool.
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby fezzick » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Tomorrow, September 8th will see the next issue of UCBE hitting the newsstands. Includes a pic of the 'Fax on the cover and an article inside together with Jason Adams's wonderful pictures.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kawadave » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm looking forward to that edition Phil....
Has the bike been on any outings of late?
Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

2013 Motogp tipping champ.

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

https://www.youtube.com/user/htmonaro
kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:06 am

fezzick wrote:Tomorrow, September 8th will see the next issue of UCBE hitting the newsstands. Includes a pic of the 'Fax on the cover and an article inside together with Jason Adams's wonderful pictures.

Well, now you can get any future photo's taken with the "correct" front fairing on it!!!! :) :) ;)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby fezzick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 pm

The bike is still in Canberra awaiting a few more parts then it will come "home" here. I'm hoping to have it on display at the Historics in November, but no plans apart from that.

Not sure I understand what you mean by the "correct" fairing reference, though.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby s man » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:22 pm

fezzick wrote: I'm hoping to have it on display at the Historics in November,..

Thats a must do Phil,!!!!!!!!!!
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby jacobb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Hey Fezzick,

Just saw an article on the Shadowfax and your profile in Used Bike and Classic Enthusiast, great article and the bike looks a million dollars! Its also pretty cool to put a face to the name, fully appreciate the team effort behind the build and even work out the identity of Gosling, aka the Kawasaki Guru... awesome
GPZ1100 B2
jacobb
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Tasmania

Postby fezzick » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:53 am

jacobb wrote:Hey Fezzick,

Just saw an article on the Shadowfax and your profile in Used Bike and Classic Enthusiast, great article and the bike looks a million dollars! Its also pretty cool to put a face to the name, fully appreciate the team effort behind the build and even work out the identity of Gosling, aka the Kawasaki Guru... awesome

Thanks, mate. Yes, I have never sought to disguise the fact that this resto was a HUGE team effort. My injuries and subsequent physical limitations was always going to mean that the bulk of the physical work was going to be done by other people, and I'll never stop being grateful for that.
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby s man » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Twas a great read Phil, But I knew it all before the mag came out. Just gives the guys that donated time, money, & parts a bit of a pat on the back, & thats a great thing about this resto...IMO :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:45 pm

fezzick wrote:The bike is still in Canberra awaiting a few more parts then it will come "home" here. I'm hoping to have it on display at the Historics in November, but no plans apart from that.

Not sure I understand what you mean by the "correct" fairing reference, though.

I can help with that reference mate - meant to let you know this morning but was a bit fuzzy-headed still ;)

Marty knows a bloke who knows a bloke - who actually has an original MotoMartin fairing upper. Early 80's vintage - the real McCoy. I am pretty sure this fairing is located here in the ACT ? Will arrange with the owner at some point to have a look and maybe get a mold taken.....

OK - time for a bit of an update on this old girl.

As Phil has mentioned above, the 'Fax will be on display at the Historic Nationals at EC next Sunday. I am halfway through putting the original Yoshimura motor back together - a few weeks ago, myself and PC did a hit'n'run on a couple of locations in Victoria - and I got a good Z1000 cylinder head to replace the original example. In some news that was music to Phil's ears this morning - the head I got, has had a really nice port job done on it. Valve seats are all in very good nick - now the motor will have a cylinder head that should be able to take full advantage of the smoothbores and big cams ! :kuda: I will take a couple of photos of the head before it gets fitted- but whoever did the porting did a really good job.

(the motor fitted to the bike back at the BSFOS was actually the motor from another one of my zeds - Cherry. Now that this motor is out of the 'Fax, I can fit it back into its own frame and get that build finished.......its like a big game of dominos in the 4th workshop :twisted: )

next Sunday arvo, the 'Fax will be delivered back to Phil and all his mates will finally be able to come around and ogle the bike at their leisure :lol: - it has been a great fun project this one, I will miss seeing the bike tucked into the 4th but it is now time it was returned to its rightful home in Middle Earth.....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:50 pm

This will be one of the last updates from me about this bike......after some unexpected delays with the replacement cylinder head, I have spent the last couple of weekends getting the Mori motor back together. Big thanks to Shiny for dropping in this morning to give me a hand slotting the cylinder block over the pistons......this is normally a 2-man job and PC was always my wingman for this type of stuff....... :(

anyway - the holdup was due to a dud exhaust valve and a missing bucket & shim from the original motor. Sorted out a replacement valve and finished slotting the motor together this arvo......but it is not a motor I would be using on a track.....

The problem is simple - using all the original Moriwaki pistons was part of the rebuild specs that Phil asked for. Even though the pistons - well, 3 out of 4 of them - are in reasonable nick, the rings were all corroded into the ringlands when I first pulled this motor down towards the end of 2011.......yes they have cleaned up as well as I could clean them up......but basically the rings are way past their best. Impossible to source new piston rings for these pistons either, they are really old-school 'dykes' style rings - single top ring only (which has an 'L' profile) and then oil control rings. So the old ones have been re-used.......against my better judgement.

Here is the main reason I would never give this motor a thrashing around a track......I reckon 10 minutes at redline and this old girl will go BANG big-time...... :? :?

that is the #1 piston, after it was tidied up......... :? it is just not a piston I would ever use in a motor that was intended to be used in anger on a track........that piston has seized up pretty badly at some point and is likely to do the same again. Together with the dropped valve in #3 exhaust which ruined the original head......I would have much preferred to build this motor with a completely new top-end....

Which sort of brings me to the next point. This bike in its current set-up, will be totally out of its depth in current P5 racing. The old slicks are just not good enough for serious track-work (despite those 7 laps last year chasing Croz :lol: ). 18" tyres are just not competitive in P5 unlimited.........

So basically, this bike will in all probability, never be used in anger. Which is a good thing. Would it be worth spending a couple of large just on new motor internals ?? Its a hard question to answer......but if the bike just spends the next chapter of its life as a display bike, then having dodgy internals is perhaps not such an issue after all.........and there was not a lot of money spent on internals, plenty of stuff donated :kuda: thanks to all those who helped with the project.

Next weekend, the 'Fax will be on display again at the BSFOS on Sunday only. After the show, it will be trailered to its new home with Phil Hall down in the 'Gong. Phil will then have the pleasure of looking after this unique piece of aussie bike racing history at his place.

I'll do one more update after next weekends show.....

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Kawi Discussion