Switch to full style
All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's
Post a reply

Re: Cherry

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Awesome mate...can't wait to see yet another great build from the 4th. Nice work boot by the way!! They look just like the ones I work in the shed with! :lol: Yours are maybe a little cleaner though... :oops:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:11 pm

cheers Marty :kuda: - some surprises in store with this build too............. ;)

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Here are the Henry Abe mags, after a few hours work last night :shock: - they are masked up and ready for some 2-pak gloss black !! PC picked them up tonight, hopefully will be able to lay a few coats on tomorrow and then give them a week or 2 to harden up before we fit some tyres.

Masking these babies took about an hour per side.....probably take 3 times that to get the polishing done on all the highlited bits ! :lol:

8)

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:19 am

Thats it, I'm going the the shed to clean all my wheels - may not be to "Harvey Spec" but they'll be shiny......for thos of you that are unaware of what "Harvey Spec" is - think of a mirror :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 am

I asked Harv about his wheels last weekend while they glistening (blinding us) in the morning sun... They look incredible but I dont have that much time in my life to complete the same process and achieve the same results on my own wheels.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Harvey-spec wheels are my goal !! :lol:

not. But I will make those highlited bits as shiny as I can get them.....

Started work on the forks tonight - they are the OEM forks from 1977 and have a bit of surface corrosion up high - not unusual on these bikes, the moisture used to get retained inside the headlight brackets.....its not bad by any means, and I will just be giving these forks a good tidy-up, some new fork seals and Progressive springs - and thats about it. Nothing special, just clean & tidy. Better fork springs make a huge difference on old zeds......maybe throw a fork-brace on as well.... ;)

8)

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

i can vouch for the tarossi fork braces have used these on a few bikes now and they do tighten the front up nicely

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:16 pm

OK update time

With the frame clean and bare, it is time to sort out some bracing. Basically there are certain spots on a Z frame which can be braced - the end result is a bike that tracks well at speed no matter what the road surface is like. The basic recipe for frame-bracing is captured best in this picture...

You can see the spots where extra tubes and/or gussets need to be added.

For the Z1000 frame, I have used a piece of 34mm tube for the main front brace between the 2 downtubes, and smaller 26mm tube for all the other braces - the only place that flat-steel gussets will be used is up directly behind the steering head - these should be completed tomorrow.

The method of 'fishmouthing' tube steel is not something to get into detail here - you need practice to get it right, especially when the 2 sections of frame to be joined are in different planes :shock: :x

Here is a shot of the 34mm main brace ready to be welded in

For the rest of the bracing pieces - start with a nice length of 26mm tube...

then cut into smaller bits of the right length and fishmouth them...........sounds easy eh ? :lol:

Once you have all the bits sorted out - time to start tacking them into place on the frame. I didn't bother with any shots of the bits tacked into place - here are some shots of the pieces fully welded into place. You have to do this slowly - small sections at a time and let the frame cool down between welds. This lot took all day today to shape & weld into place. A few of the welds still need cleaning up, but I am pretty happy with the results....have a couple more smaller pieces to weld into place tomorrow, then file-finish as required....

This has been done with just your basic stick-welder. No TIG's in the 4th unfortunately.....

PC should have the wheels completed by the end of the weekend - the frame will be off to the powdercoaters next week for blasting and coating. I will also get the swingarm done at the same time.

8)

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Looking forward to the end result..
happy1.gif

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Very cool mate. What method are you using to notch the tube? Is it old school with a 4 inch grinder?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:35 am

Good stuff Gos .
The Ol ROC grinder looks like its getting the job done !

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Sooooooooo........... Would this sort of bracing be beneficial to smaller bikes, like gpz 550's for example. Or were they not as prone to flexing?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Nelso wrote:....Very cool mate. What method are you using to notch the tube? Is it old school with a 4 inch grinder?.....

:kuda:
absolutely mate - easy and works well if you know how to get the angle of the dangle right.....

the kid wrote:.....The Ol ROC grinder looks like its getting the job done !......

its a ripper mate - as a gimme with that 9" ROC grinder, its worth every cent I paid for it :lol:

dutchy wrote:....Sooooooooo........... Would this sort of bracing be beneficial to smaller bikes, like gpz 550's for example. Or were they not as prone to flexing?.....

Not really needed on the 550 mate - the motor doesn't have enough power to tie the frame into knots like on the old 900's. It was also the actual design of the backbone under the tank - there were some long unsupported sections that were prone to twisting.....I am sure you could probably do some minor bracing to the 550 - just about every OEM jap frame from back in those days was built to a price. ;)

Finished all the tube and gusset additions today - 2 solid days on this its a fair amount of work really. Here are a couple of photos of the finished frame......you can easily see the additional tubing & gussets in the camera flash :lol: .......

I am farken glad that this lot is over - best news of the day though is *NO WELDING FLASH* amazing but true :lol: . Some of the welds were pretty much perfect straight off the stick, some needed a bit of tidying-up with the dremel. Should look nice once the frame gets powder-coated.....all up, there are 10 additional tubes & gussets on the frame now. This bike already had a braced swingarm when I bought it, so it should handle pretty well once it all goes back together......

8)

Re: Re: Cherry

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Gosling1 wrote:
Not really needed on the 550 mate - the motor doesn't have enough power to tie the frame into knots like on the old 900's. It was also the actual design of the backbone under the tank - there were some long unsupported sections that were prone to twisting.....I am sure you could probably do some minor bracing to the 550 - just about every OEM jap frame from back in those days was built to a price. ;)

You calling my bike weak as piss!! :evil: :lol:

Thought it was the case. To be honest, I wouldn't ride it hard enough to do any damage anyway:lol:

Sorry for the temporary hijack. You can bring the thread back to awesomeness now.
Last edited by dutchy on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Nice work Gos, looking REALLY good :kuda:
Post a reply