('99) ZRX1100 carbs

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

('99) ZRX1100 carbs

Postby Tuck » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:35 am

Hey there, newbie to site here. Went to the Snowy Ride to Thredbo a few weeks ago, best weather yet. Met a bloke there (Eric) that mentioned the site. G'day Eric if your out there.
Made the trip down and back the long way but had a problem with the carbs last Saturday.
Can anyone assist in finding carby kits for these Keihin's? Straight from Kwaka, as the only, just doesn't ring true. I may be interested in a set of secondhandies if they're out there for the right price.
Primarily I'm looking for info guys. Can anyone help?
Tuck

On the Road & in ur hed
Tuck

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi Tuck - can't help with the carbs ( someone else will have info for you), you should jump onto the Newcomers thread and bung up some details about your ride, etc. Good to see another local join up :P

cheers
8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby plane » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Try giving Team Show and Go a call....

http://www.showandgo.com.au

They may be able to help out. Your '99 runs CVK36's

What exactly do you need for the bike? I may be able to help out.

Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Re: ('99) ZRX1100 carbs

Postby ZXR750 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Tuck wrote:Hey there, newbie to site here. Went to the Snowy Ride to Thredbo a few weeks ago, best weather yet. Met a bloke there (Eric) that mentioned the site. G'day Eric if your out there.
Made the trip down and back the long way but had a problem with the carbs last Saturday.
Can anyone assist in finding carby kits for these Keihin's? Straight from Kwaka, as the only, just doesn't ring true. I may be interested in a set of secondhandies if they're out there for the right price.
Primarily I'm looking for info guys. Can anyone help?

Speak to Mike at Canberra Motorcycles. He should be able to offer some assistance. Are the carbies fu*%ed or do they just need an icing kit? If so Kawasaki should offer them free of charge, if you catch them on a good day. Phone Kawasaki on 02 9684 2585 ask for Technical services dept. Give them your VIN and ask if the icing kit has been installed if you are unsure.
ZXR750
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

Postby Stereo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:50 pm

ZXR750 wrote:Are the carbies fu*%ed or do they just need an icing kit? If so Kawasaki should offer them free of charge, if you catch them on a good day. Phone Kawasaki on 02 9684 2585 ask for Technical services dept. Give them your VIN and ask if the icing kit has been installed if you are unsure.

Yeah.... good advice! There was an article in the AMCN about it recently...
The world is round. It has no point.
Stereo
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Location: Pt Cook, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Pacific Ocean, Earth
Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby plane » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:25 pm

ZXR750 wrote:Speak to Mike at Canberra Motorcycles. He should be able to offer some assistance. Are the carbies fu*%ed or do they just need an icing kit? If so Kawasaki should offer them free of charge, if you catch them on a good day. Phone Kawasaki on 02 9684 2585 ask for Technical services dept. Give them your VIN and ask if the icing kit has been installed if you are unsure.

The ZRX already runs coolant through the carbs to stop them from icing. Is this the kit you are talking about?
Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

ZRX carbs

Postby Tuck » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 am

Cheers for the help guys. No th ecarbs aren't f$*^!%. I had a sticky set of carbs for a week and when i took a look a new set if needles and seals wouldn't go a stray. Why after only 6years who knows but that's where I'm at.
I'll have a look at showandgo, thanx plane. I'll have a geek at the Newcomers thread also, cheers gosling.
Tuck

On the Road & in ur hed
Tuck

Postby plane » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:14 pm

I have a set of standard needles that I could lend you as a fault finding mission. I'll want them back though.

Let me know if you need them.

I'm running a Factory Pro Jet Kit that I got from the States, maybe you could check the price of thiem rather than original replacement parts?

Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ZXR750 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:45 pm

plane wrote:
ZXR750 wrote:Speak to Mike at Canberra Motorcycles. He should be able to offer some assistance. Are the carbies fu*%ed or do they just need an icing kit? If so Kawasaki should offer them free of charge, if you catch them on a good day. Phone Kawasaki on 02 9684 2585 ask for Technical services dept. Give them your VIN and ask if the icing kit has been installed if you are unsure.

The ZRX already runs coolant through the carbs to stop them from icing. Is this the kit you are talking about?
Cheers,
Pete

Kawasaki did a retro fit on a large range of bikes about eight years back. They put a small bottle approx 20ml off the carbies that ran coolant(don't quote me on the technicals)
I think the ZRX1100 was one of the bikes most were bikes with air ram though.
ZXR750
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750
State: New South Wales

('99) ZRX1100 carbs

Postby Tuck » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:36 pm

Some great ideas guys. The 'retro fit' is interesting but I like the sound of that Pro kit you have Pete. Would you have the name of the supplier anymore?
They sound like they might have what I'm looking for. I appreciate the lend of the stockies also mate, but I think I'm just going to go that step further.
Tuck

On the Road & in ur hed
Tuck

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Tuck wrote:.... but I think I'm just going to go that step further.

:D thats the way mate !! Give It The Berries !

http://www.zx-12r.org there are a lot of forums other than ZX12R here....

Check out the ZRX1100 forum, there is an *untold* amount of info here, you could spend days and days checking out the topics........just search for *carbie problems*, and heh presto .....also, there are heaps of good links for parts, etc.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby plane » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:37 pm

With regards to the jet kit Tuck, check out http://www.wolfracing.com.au They distribute Factory Pro here and should be able to set you up with something locally. Don't discount other jet kits though mate... Dynojet and other brands are only a click away from google!

If you are after a lot of information on the ZRX, check out http://www.zrxoa.com This is an American based board, but there is so much info on it that it is worth checking out. There are a lot of Aussie based rexers on that board as well (I've been a member since 2002).

Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby plane » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:51 pm

One other thing you need to check are the throttle cables. They are renound for rusting out and breaking on the rex.

I had one go on me just as I was turning down my street... fortunately I just cranked up the idle speed and got home. Maybe yours are on the way out, which could contribute to poor throttle response.

Keep em well lubed!

Cheers,
Pete
Live Fast, Die Sideways
plane
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby texx » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Plane is right... the throttle cable return on my '99 snapped ... it was rusted through.... (I had an engine swap and major reworking... and swapped my well maintained stock throttle for one that had been neglected... (read all about it in this months "Rapid Bikes" mag) So lube them up, get the kinks out and see how that goes...

otherwise, buy some 39mm flatslides and watch out or speed cameras.

Texx
texx

Bike: ZZR1200
State: Victoria

Postby Errol » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:57 pm

Tuck,
I do-not know about the 1100, but I have a 2001 model 1200, they are fitted with carb bowl warming circuit. As I WAS living in the tropical north of QLD I removed mine. Definate reduction in fuel economy. Can-not prove any increase in HP. The US spec ZRX 1200 strangely enough, does not have the carb warming circuit, go figure?
Back in Black 2001
Once you had BLACK you NEVER go back!
1/4 mile Best MPH 129.47
Best ET 10.747
Errol
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Next

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds