Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!
Post a reply

Help needed fitting bar end mirrors

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi all,
I just bought a set of bar end mirrors for my 2010 Zed and didn't know the bars are welded on the ends for the oem bar ends.The B E mirrors i bought are for hollow ended bars.
Can you buy the B E mirrors without the collets for standard bars, or do you just hack off the collets or the bit on the end of the bars? Any info will be appreciated.

Re: Help needed fitting bar end mirrors

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:07 pm

I wouldn't cut the threaded section off the standard bars - if you want to restore to standard.

Post up a pic of the BE mirrors ......... and i may have a spare set that will fit std. bars in the garage ....

*wanders off to garage for a look*

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Found !! :D

If you want to swap, pm ....

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:19 pm

I bought them on ebay i think aust sales direct.
bar end mirrors.jpg
bar end mirrors.jpg (12.3 KiB) Viewed 7203 times

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Pm sent

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:16 pm

i know this is an old post but thoes look sweet does anyone know if they will fit my factory er6n bars?
being broad across the shoulders means i have to pull my arm in every time to see anything behind me its a pain in the ass

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:17 pm

If the ER6 use the same bars as ZRX and Z750/1000's then no they won't fit. There are many of us that run bar end mirrors made by Jason7019 on ZRXOA.org that bolt straight up to Kawasaki bars and are easier to see things in than those little ones pictured above. I have had both and there is no way I would ever get the small ones again. Here's a pic of the ones I have now:
Attachments
Bar ends.jpg
Bar ends.jpg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 7058 times

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:31 pm

you could get mirror extenders genuine from kawasaki (about $100)
or go here for some inverted ones http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Index_files/I%20Can%20See.pdf to make yourself, or give a decent machinist to make for you
or make some based on the kawasaki ones using the measurements of the inverted ones.

i did the last one, and when i can be bothered i'll take a photo of them. at 40mm extention, i can see 90% of whats behind me without moving my arms; and i'm 6foot4 and 21 stone (think rugby prop shape)
Last edited by dickfaber on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 pm

I have the mirrors in question (actually have a spare new-in-the-box set) and it required a fair bit of work to get them installed. I bought some allen head bolts of the correct length and thread to fit the bars, and then used a lathe to machine the head down so it fits inside the alloy block in the same way as the supplied bolt does. The extension that sticks out also was machined off flush. They were a mild pain to line up because you can't adjust them with the mirror section installed.

The other option is to use different bars. I changed over to a carbon fibre fatbar and re-used the mirrors. Instead of the alloy spreader you should use some automotive fuel hose. It grips better with a little "give" and still allows adjustment if you push hard enough.

The mirrors are actually quite good for the money. Worth going to all the trouble to fit them.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 pm

kiwi-jono wrote:i know this is an old post but thoes look sweet does anyone know if they will fit my factory er6n bars?
being broad across the shoulders means i have to pull my arm in every time to see anything behind me its a pain in the ass

motorrad garage have the extenders

http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/catalo ... cts_id=900

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:58 am

as promised, and apologies for the crappy lighting, my shed is dark in the mornings; but you get the idea. it took me about 3 hours from go to whoa including lunch, so it not very hard so long as you have the tools and the materials. i used the oldest mill at work one sunday, and i had the aluminium lying around at home, so it cost me 7 tenths of bugger all.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 pm

yea i thought about the extenders but i kind of like the idea of the bar end mirrors, think it will give the bike more of a low profile look. might look into the ones nelson was on about, i tried taking my bar ends off buy the allen bolt in the end was so f-n tight it seems to have turned without undoing the thread which leads me to think there the ones with the expandable insert inside the bar, will try actually get it off when im back at work and can put my hands on some deacent tools

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 pm

Jono - there is an internal thread inside the bar. The bar-end bolt is loctite sealed, and will need an impact driver to remove. I have one you can borrow.

You will need to buy a bar-end mirror to suit the Kawasaki handlebar or replace the bar or cut the existing bar to remove the threaded section.

HTH ...

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm

ahh that will explain why its so tight, thanks for the offer of an impact driver ron i have a full mechanics tool kit at the workshop so sorted on that end of things. will investigate options as i get time
thanks for your help guys
Post a reply