ZXR7 V ZXR750 (ZX750)

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZXR7 V ZXR750 (ZX750)

Postby Naked Twin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:44 pm

I am asking this on behalf of a friend who is looking into racing new era. He was wondering what the difference is between the ZX7R from 96 onwards and the ZXr750 which was 1995 and before.

Cheers Nick
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Re: ZXR7 V ZXR750 (ZX750)

Postby MadKaw » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Now thats a can of worms isn't it..
Firstly, New Era rules are for bikes up to Dec 95.
Fortunately there were 96 model zx7r's built in Dec 95 so there compliance plate makes them eligable.
Unfortunately this may change, or it may not..
The new era class is currently not a historic class, but may one day be. If it becomes a historic class it goes under the Moms historic rules which don't use the compliance plate to identify the year of the bike. They use the date the bike was available for sale and delivery to the public, this may affect the 96 model.. I'm not sure about this but thats being discussed on the PCRA site atm. Based on Manufacture dates it should be OK..
(eg, the 08 zx10r has been manufactured since dec 07 but has only been on shop floors o/s for the last few weeks, its not even available in Aus yet)
Based on Manufacture dates of the z7rr it should be OK..
The eligability of 96 + models has been an ongoing discussion at the PCRA and its not really sorted, but its fine atm...

Anyway, that aside, the 96 model was a better bike, as you would expect from a new model but not a huge leap. The best thing about the 96 + bike is there is a heap of room for improvement as they were raced up till 2002 in a lot of national champs and WSB.

As Eastoe said on the PCRA site, if he wants to sleep at nights knowing he'll have somewhere to race his bike for a while, the 93 to 95 model may be a safer option.. :D
Check the PCRA site for more info, http://www.postclassicracing.com.au/for ... 4&start=30

I will now hand over to Mitch for his rebuttle of these comments. (not about the bikes, just the rules.. ) :D
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby wet4uracing » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:45 pm

""""They use the date the bike was available for sale and delivery to the public, this may then not make the 96 model eligable.. I'm not sure about this"""""

i agree with you on that ""YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THIS "". i personally uncrated and Pre delivered many ZX7 P1's that were sold from october 95. the only greener than me is Bargs at KMA and maybe greenman? wat you reckon brian????????
wet4uracing
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Yamaha

Postby MadKaw » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 am

Information available on the net suggests it first appeared in mags in Nov 95... In Cycle world as an artist impression then MCN had press release pics in Nov, but not tested until Jan 96... Good to hear it was already in Aus. :shock:
http://www.mcreports.com/Pages/Indivbik ... 7R-96+.pdf

Fast Bikes also had only press release pics in Nov 95 but didn't test one until Jan 96 issue. See below..

the earliest compliant plate found to date is Nov 95..... an engraver can fix that though. ;) .

There is a pic of the zx7rr at TKA from around late Nov 95 so they were made, but this bike may not have had compliance or ADR approval. Sorta like TKA have had the 08 zx10r for over a month now but no dealers still have them..

The zx10r press release was in early December last year, they have just gone on sale O/S now and still not available in Aus 3 months later.. Things obviously happened different in 95..

Anyway, as I said, this could be wrong (and based on your statement, obviously is).... I wouldn't be so presumptuous to suggest I know everything, hence the posting of reference information, right or wrong.
Attachments
fastbikes -2.jpg
fastbikes -2.jpg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
fastbikes -1.jpg
fastbikes -1.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby greenman43 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:12 pm

wet4uracing wrote:""""They use the date the bike was available for sale and delivery to the public, this may then not make the 96 model eligable.. I'm not sure about this"""""

i agree with you on that ""YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THIS "". i personally uncrated and Pre delivered many ZX7 P1's that were sold from october 95. the only greener than me is Bargs at KMA and maybe greenman? wat you reckon brian????????

I must confess my memories of those days are fairly hazy, given a) I'd only had my ZXR since January that year, and more pertinently b) still be ing single at the time there were an awful lot of beers going down the throat at the time.

Dave, bear in mind that the date shown on the cover of a magazine isn't necessarily indicative of it's publication date. As an example, on the Performance Bikes forum right now, someone is talking about an article in the March issue in a posting dated 15/2 ; they've obviously got the magazine, and there's noting to indicate they purchased it on the first day of publication (I have a feeling the norm is 5th-10th of the month). Don't know that this necessarily applies to Fast Bikes as well, but if a January issue is published early December, then the article was written mid-late November.

That said, if Paul clearly recalls those bikes coming through while working in the industry, that's good enough for me. And BTW, having seen your stable and followed your rides over the years, you're definitely greener than me !

Cheers,
Brian
07 ZX10R track 09 ZX6R road/track 93 ZXR750 race 89 GPZ900 project
Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not be following
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow
Just piss off and leave me alone
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby MadKaw » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:49 am

I don't disagree Brian and yes a few mags do come out quite early for there month date, with new bike tests they usually want the mag out as soon as the test is done to get the scoop.
The factories usually give the mags bikes to test before they are on sale to the general public and the larger markets like the UK and USA get em first. With that in mind the best I can find from the US and UK is tests in Jan issue mags. I would have thought if the bike was available in Oct it would have appeared a little earlier. (another first test below from Bike mag in Jan 96 and Ride mag in Feb 96, and press release pics in cycle world from Dec 95).
If, as stated, they were in Aus in Oct there won't be a problem with them being eligable for historic racing, but something more concrete may be required.
If Wet4U says he had em in Oct 95, I believe him. All I did was look for info to confirm it and what I posted is all I can find..
Attachments
bike mag.jpg
bike mag.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 7221 times
ridefeb96-2.jpg
ridefeb96-2.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
cycle world dec 95.jpg
cycle world dec 95.jpg (40.87 KiB) Viewed 7204 times
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mitch » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:39 pm

MadKaw wrote:I will now hand over to Mitch for his rebuttle of these comments. (not about the bikes, just the rules.. ) :D

Really MK I can't argue with you. If you want to be sure taht you can race your bike in NE then go a ZXR750L (or a M if you know someone who is selling on ;) )

RE the rules and their changing. Well all I can say is that one rule was made and people bought/made bikes based on that rule and now they are going to be out in the cold (but you can read more that on the PCRA site).

There are a number of clubs around the place that are getting on with the Retro rules put fwd by MadKaw. That includes bikes up to the year 2000. What I wouldn't mind seeing is Ausco making a class for 750cc Retro Superbikes and run it similar to the Forgetten Era races, ie mixed with a suitable class liked the revised FX class.

What a blast that would be seeing the old 750cc Superbikes racing the new stuff :twisted: .
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby MadKaw » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Mitch wrote:
MadKaw wrote:I will now hand over to Mitch for his rebuttle of these comments. (not about the bikes, just the rules.. ) :D

Really MK I can't argue with you. If you want to be sure taht you can race your bike in NE then go a ZXR750L (or a M if you know someone who is selling on ;) )

RE the rules and their changing. Well all I can say is that one rule was made and people bought/made bikes based on that rule and now they are going to be out in the cold (but you can read more that on the PCRA site).

There are a number of clubs around the place that are getting on with the Retro rules put fwd by MadKaw. That includes bikes up to the year 2000. What I wouldn't mind seeing is Ausco making a class for 750cc Retro Superbikes and run it similar to the Forgetten Era races, ie mixed with a suitable class liked the revised FX class.

What a blast that would be seeing the old 750cc Superbikes racing the new stuff :twisted: .

I'm with ya Mitch, the rules are a bit messy and should have been sorted much earler. When I first looked into the class I was told the zx7r and zx7rr were NOT eligable. I was going to buy the ex Sean Mackay ZX7rr Superbike that Greenblood ending up buying. But as I was told it was not eligable I bought a 93 M model instead.
The bike eligability changed as a zx7r was found with a 12/95 plate (the 96 gsrx750 was already in) and the zx7rr was still in question, but as we know, one raced at the last BSM ...
Now there's talk that the rules may change to Moms (at a later date.?) and it could be whole new ball game again. I doubt it though, as you said, too many ppl have gone with whats in place would be put out if it did change.. again..
But yep a class of 750 superbikes from the heyday (imho) or racing would be a great site to see. The zx7r, rc45, yzf, r7, gsxr, sp and 996 duc superbikes from the late 90's were some of the best racing..
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wet4uracing » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:17 pm

i cant see anyone on these forums racin at the ASC.
you all cry about buying H/Duty engine covers or carbon engine protectors.
but if i am wrong you can all race at the next T O'neil event at wakefield the NSWRRC he has the old Formula OZ class back again which i used to race my 98 R1 (which i took to asia and raced for 2 yrs) in against A.Maxwell ZX7rr and Johnny Allen on the NSR500v and a hord of others that had bikes that wernt eligble for other classes or didnt have a class to race in or didnt want to run in the main race.
i had 2 R1's that i punted , 1 in the Formula Xtreme class(B privateer) and the other in OZ, 2 classes in a weekend . too much fun

oh yeh RE: ZX7R very late oct early nov they were here plated 11/95 and sold to the lads. theres one at metros sportin a 95 plate. been there for a long long time. and its 4 sale.
wet4uracing
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Mitch » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:33 pm

wet4uracing wrote:oh yeh RE: ZX7R very late oct early nov they were here plated 11/95 and sold to the lads. theres one at metros sportin a 95 plate. been there for a long long time. and its 4 sale.

I got pics of both a 11/95 ZX7R and a 11/95 GSXR 750. If the PCRA go with the MoMs defination then my understanding is that they are both out as they are sold and delievered as '96 models.

They has/was some chat about increasing the cutoff year from '95 to '96 so as not to disavantage anyone with these bikes. Once again it was chat on the PCRA site.
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby greenman43 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:42 pm

wet4uracing wrote:... the next T O'neil event at wakefield the NSWRRC he has the old Formula OZ class back again which i used to race my 98 R1 (which i took to asia and raced for 2 yrs) in against A.Maxwell ZX7rr and Johnny Allen on the NSR500v and a horde of others that had bikes that wernt eligble for other classes or didnt have a class to race in or didnt want to run in the main race.

Hey, that's so long ago that even I was racing then ! Honestly, what a rip-off class that was ; a home for orphans, the fat turd was happy to take your money but it was the first class to get the arse if anything went pear-shaped.

Still, while we're talking nostalgia classes, how about one for vintage 1000cc superbikes ? Extending from '98 (when the first R1 arrived) to, I don't know, say, '06, and of course allowing '07 models in where they're unchanged from the '06, Plus generous handicaps for returning riders who raced long ago, and were never much good in their day anyway :) Just give me enough time to put up a trophy shelf !

Cheers,
Brian
07 ZX10R track 09 ZX6R road/track 93 ZXR750 race 89 GPZ900 project
Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not be following
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow
Just piss off and leave me alone
greenman43
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby wet4uracing » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 am

I got pics of both a 11/95 ZX7R and a 11/95 GSXR 750. If the PCRA go with the MoMs defination then my understanding is that they are both out as they are sold and delievered as '96 models.

so mitch what if they were sold to the customer in 11 or 12 /95???
wet4uracing
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Kwak addict » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 am

It's not Rocket Science, the rules just have to specifically prohibit ZX7s & T model Gixers.
I don't understand what all the fuss is about, other historic classes have had these rules since their inception.
Ex T.K.A. ZXR 750 RR
ZXR 7/9 L3 Streetfighter
ZX9 C Trackbike - ex Maccarocks & Slow & Wobbly... still a weapon!

Plus a ZX7 & a few ZXR Ls & ZX9 Bs & Cs in various stages of completion.
Kwak addict
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZXR750
State: Victoria

Postby robracer » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:52 am

wet4uracing wrote:i cant see anyone on these forums racin at the ASC.
you all cry about buying H/Duty engine covers or carbon engine protectors.
but if i am wrong you can all race at the next T O'neil event at wakefield the NSWRRC he has the old Formula OZ class back again which i used to race my 98 R1 (which i took to asia and raced for 2 yrs) in against A.Maxwell ZX7rr and Johnny Allen on the NSR500v and a hord of others that had bikes that wernt eligble for other classes or didnt have a class to race in or didnt want to run in the main race.
i had 2 R1's that i punted , 1 in the Formula Xtreme class(B privateer) and the other in OZ, 2 classes in a weekend . too much fun

oh yeh RE: ZX7R very late oct early nov they were here plated 11/95 and sold to the lads. theres one at metros sportin a 95 plate. been there for a long long time. and its 4 sale.

Who's crying about buying covers for a stupid rule that was brought about to apease the gods of motorcycling it will do nothing but create confusion (yep that worked) & a false sense of security because alloy might work but the CF wont work in a slide!
Oh & yes I was at the last round of supers & watched the carnage :twisted:
I for one will never ever race under a Fat Turd circus production again, I wasted 2 years racing in the FX series only to get shafted at the podium twice so he can shove his series up his fat arse & you know one thing, he never used to be that fat untill we started lining his pockets :roll:
Rant over :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby MadKaw » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:31 am

Ouch... Take a bex and have lie down now Rob... :D :D

But yep, wtf has racing in the ASC and engine covers have to do with any of this anyway.? The discsussion is about new era not Aus superbikes...

BTW
With forum members like Jamie Stauffer, Josh Waters, Chris Seaton and Jamie Aitken and others, I think we've had a few in the ASC.. ;)

now, back on topic...

I'm not sure how the Moms rules work in regard to "available for sale and delivery to the purchaser".? If ppl had zx7r's in Dec 95 there probly OK but how is that proven.. Rego info may be available.?
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion