zx7r brakes

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

zx7r brakes

Postby Naked Twin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:10 pm

This is a follow up from an earlier question. I got talking to the bloke I bought my bike off, it turns out when he fitted new pads they did not do the brake fluid at the same time. Also when changing the pads they took out what I call brake shims or stackers.

I have noticed that the brake has a bit of travel before engagement. Should I put the shims back in? They were taken out as the front wheel would not spin as freely with the new pads.

Second question (sorry if it sounds dumb) but how hard is it to bleed the brakes. I have done drum brakes on cars (about 10 years ago). What is the process involved please.

Cheers

Nick
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Re: zx7r brakes

Postby MadKaw » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Not sure what you mean by shims.. There shouldn't be anything else between the back of the brake pads and the pistons.
Some of the race pads have a heat shield to dispurs the heat but there not really a shim.

Bleeding the brakes is pretty easy, similar to doing a car. Put the lever under pressure, open the nipple, squeeze the lever, tighten nipple, release lever, then repeat....

Where abouts are you located.??
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby jl4049 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:01 pm

some brake pads in some brakes, have a squeek tab, or anti rattle spring, not sure about yours but the pads for the 6pot tokicos have nothing behind them.
C1 ZX9R
jl4049
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby mattyv74 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:02 pm

Pads shims on a 7r? No such thing. Got 4 7's now and none of them have them and I've never seen them. Not it the factory service manual either. If the wheel won't spin easily it's usually due to one or more of the pistons sticking. Cars usually have an anti squeel plate (shim), but have never seem them on a bike. 8)
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:54 pm

a few older Zeds from the late 70's / early 80's all ran anti-rattle 'shims' behind the brake piston. They were often the cause of most of the squeals that eminated from these brakes !! bloody hopeless engineers..... ;) - you can still buy anti-squeal compound from Repco etc, to stop the squeak........

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Naked Twin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:34 am

I live in Quakers Hill in Sydney. Bleeding brakes is easy then, I thought there might have been something special with them, looks like I have a job to do this weekend as I am going to Wakefield on Monday.

I will try and post a photo of what these shims/ stacks look like and see if anyone know WTF they are.

Thanks for the help.

Nick
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby robracer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 am

Naked Twin wrote:I live in Quakers Hill in Sydney. Bleeding brakes is easy then, I thought there might have been something special with them, looks like I have a job to do this weekend as I am going to Wakefield on Monday.

I will try and post a photo of what these shims/ stacks look like and see if anyone know WTF they are.

Thanks for the help.

Nick

You sorted Nick? Im just down the road if you need help
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Naked Twin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:43 pm

Just need to give a big thankyou to Rob. He gave over an hour of his time on Friday to show me how to bleed the brakes (actually he did everything). Brought his own brake fluid to flush with plus tools.

To top it off brakes worked a treat, only a litle fade towards the end of the session during the hottest part of the day. Managed to do a little stoppie going into turn 10 at Wakefield.

Thanks again Rob, he runs a sign business and I would suggest the service is top shelf.

Nick
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby robracer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey Nick good to hear everything went well on Monday :D next step would be those braided lines ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion