ZX12r 2002 Model No Headlights

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZX12r 2002 Model No Headlights

Postby Poyda » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:44 pm

Bling12R has a small problem, the headlights on his 02 12R dont work. the globes, fuses, relays, switches and junction box have all been checked but i'm f@#ked if I can find out why they are coming on. I can make them come on after starting the bike by bridging a wire here or there, but thats no good to us.

Most of the older models have very sililar wiring by the looks of it, the wiring diagram for my 96 zx6 is almost identical. So maybe someone with an older bike has had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction. I know its just a case of tracing wires, but for those who havent seen a 12R without all the plastics they are a real pottytrain4.gif

Any help will be much appreciated as he want to sell it soon
Pete

The (no longer) ugly 96 ZX6R
And now with another Purple and Orange 96 ZX9R
Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: ZX12r 2002 Model No Headlights

Postby jl4049 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:13 am

Wiring to the engine start circuit?
C1 ZX9R
jl4049
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby Poyda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:09 pm

jl4049 wrote:Wiring to the engine start circuit?

Checked all good
Pete

Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Benno » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Get yourself a multimeter. Doesn't have to be anything flash. Put it on Voltage(DC) and start somewhere easy to get to. (Sorry, don't mean to sound insulting, as I'm not sure how much you know about electricity) Whack 1 probe onto the bare wire at a connection point, and the other probe to the frame earth (Anywhere on the frame where there's bare metal will do). As long as you have voltage, follow the circuit along till you don't have any. If you start in the middle of the circ, then you can figure out which way your problem is, and work backwards or forwards towards it. I know it sounds easy in theory, but these things have a habit of breaking a connection in a nice and difficult place to get to.

Did you make sure the globes are making good contact with the connections as well? Heat can be the primary source of the wiring failing, as it can make the wiring become brittle. All it would take is a sharp bump to do the damage. Headlights are an excellent example of where the most heat in this circuit is.
Vespa!
Benno
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter

Postby Madeyes » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:54 pm

I know you said you checked the fuses. Did you check the master light fuse behind the battery?
'Only another Ninja can kill a Ninja'
Madeyes
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Poyda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Benno wrote:Get yourself a multimeter. Doesn't have to be anything flash. Put it on Voltage(DC) and start somewhere easy to get to. (Sorry, don't mean to sound insulting, as I'm not sure how much you know about electricity) Whack 1 probe onto the bare wire at a connection point, and the other probe to the frame earth (Anywhere on the frame where there's bare metal will do). As long as you have voltage, follow the circuit along till you don't have any. If you start in the middle of the circ, then you can figure out which way your problem is, and work backwards or forwards towards it. I know it sounds easy in theory, but these things have a habit of breaking a connection in a nice and difficult place to get to.

Did you make sure the globes are making good contact with the connections as well? Heat can be the primary source of the wiring failing, as it can make the wiring become brittle. All it would take is a sharp bump to do the damage. Headlights are an excellent example of where the most heat in this circuit is.

Mechanic by trade, so I know what a multimeter is :P No insult taken.

The prob keeps coming and going. We're pulling all the fairings off the bike this weekend so i can get good access to the front of the bike and all the harness. This weekend was working on were the voltage disappears. Although I'm leaning towards a relay because if I earth the "pass" switch out it all comes on, so makes me think something isnt earthing properly and not switching, But i'll definately give your suggestion a try
Pete

Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Byproduct » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi all, been coming here for a few months, thought I'd finally register so I could add my 2 cents to this discussion.

I have a problem on my `93 ZXR750 where the lights don't always come on after the starter is pressed. I found out that by turning the key slowly back towards off it hits a point where lights come on and stay on, before the ignition is actually switched off obviously. Has worked every time for me so far, the 12R probably has a similar ignition so could be the problem.
Byproduct

Bike: ZXR750
State: Tasmania

Postby Benno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:54 am

That's a really good point. If the contacts in your ignition barrel are on the worn side, the symtoms you describe could be happening. Turning your key is a pretty regular occurance, so I'm guessing they'd have a fair bit of wear :D
Vespa!
Benno
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Scooter

Postby Poyda » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Mmmm never thought of that, the bike is used for commuting and touring, plus he lost one of the little bolts that hold the switch in so it was floating around for a few weeks, might suggest he try this before going into the electicans
Pete

Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion