ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.
Post a reply

ZXR750H2 oil filter change procedure

Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:14 pm

I don't actually have a ZXR750H2, but I was skimming through a Haynes manual on the ZXR750 series becasue I was curious about what was changed on the H1/H2 over the GPX750R, particularly for use of spin-on oil filters. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but spin-on filters are so convenient, although which way the filter is pointing can make changing them a messier operation than cartridge filters.

Apparently the H1 has the spin-on filter pointing a sane direction in a fairly easy to get to position. However, this luxury comes at a cost of a piping arrangement that looks very cobbled up.

By Haynes the H2 went back to a cartridge. No big deal there but their swap procedure is:
-Remove the left and right lower fairing panels (umm, ok)
-Remove the oil cooler (huh?)
-Remove the radiator (say what?)
-Remove the muffler/silencer (hey wait a minute, I'm changing the filter not the engine!)
-Support the motorcycle securely upright...etc etc
-Next, remove the drain plug... etc etc
-...remove the oil filter mounting bolt... yada yada

Is Haynes having a laugh? Is this what H2 maintainers really have to go through to change the oil filter?

Re: ZXR750H2 oil filter change procedure

Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:51 pm

No mate. The filter can be removed without all that. It's a little fiddly to get the bolt out, but it can be done and once done for the first time, you know exactly where to position shit to get it in and out.
Post a reply