Melandri to Yamaha WSBK

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

Melandri to Yamaha WSBK

Postby MadKaw » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 am

The Yamaha Sterilgarda World Superbike Team has signed an agreement with Italian MotoGP rider Marco Melandri to join the World Superbike Championship for the 2011 race season. 28 year-old Melandri will replace current Yamaha Superbike rider Cal Crutchlow who stays within the Yamaha family, moving to MotoGP to replace Ben Spies on The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 M1 bike.

Melandri is a former 250cc GP World Champion and has finished as high as 2nd in the MotoGP Championship with five MotoGP race victories to date in his career and a further 10 250ccGP victories.

"I'm very happy with this new challenge, it's a big change and I want to fight for world superbike wins," said Marco Melandri. "It's nice to be back with Yamaha; I know many people there; I was very young when I rode with them before, now I'm much more mature. As the reigning 2009 champions The Yamaha Sterilgarda Team have proved to have a very competitive package and are one of the top teams in World Superbike. I realize Superbike is not easy and I know I have to work hard. I'm looking forward to feeling the adrenalin again and fighting for the championship."

"Marco is a great signing for the World Superbike Team. He has massive experience at the pinnacle of motorcycle racing and is extremely motivated to have the opportunity to challenge for race wins again. Whilst it is sad to see Cal leave us to move on up in the Yamaha family we are excited to have a serious title contender such as Marco joining us," said Yamaha Motor Europe Racing Manager Laurens Klein Koerkamp.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Melandri to Yamaha WSBK

Postby GPZ_Jim » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:00 pm

thing that gets me is even with the likes of Melandri leaving.. any news re: Loris next yr? ... not too many spot available for any up and comers from moto2.. moto1 can't come quick enuf :)
GPZ_Jim
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500
State: New South Wales

Postby red_dave » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:56 am

GPZ_Jim wrote:thing that gets me is even with the likes of Melandri leaving.. any news re: Loris next yr? ... not too many spot available for any up and comers from moto2.. moto1 can't come quick enuf :)

Loris is going to Pramac Ducati...
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby redzedx7r » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:55 am

red_dave wrote:
GPZ_Jim wrote:thing that gets me is even with the likes of Melandri leaving.. any news re: Loris next yr? ... not too many spot available for any up and comers from moto2.. moto1 can't come quick enuf :)

Loris is going to Pramac Ducati...

What a waste of a ride surely there's some other talented riders out there with money, Caparossi hasn't done anything since he left Ducati I know the Suzuki is shit be he is a genuine dud. Don't care what nationality they get some new young blood up there.
life half lived is no life at all

[url]http://tinypic.com/k85zd.jpeg[/url].

01 ZX9R (Red ofcourse!)
redzedx7r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Stace » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Money talks and so does fame. Regardless if Capex's results he still is marketable
FASTER AND FASTER Until the Thrill of Speed Over Powers the Fear of Death
Stace
Team Bolt
Team Bolt

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Return to General Racing Discussion