Rossi admits Ducati hard to handle

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

Rossi admits Ducati hard to handle

Postby aardvark » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Valentino Rossi has admitted he is struggling to get used to Ducati's notoriously hard-to-handle race bike and that it is now too late for him to fulfil Italian fans' dream of seeing him switch to Formula One and Ferrari.

''We are trying to work out how (Casey) Stoner rode the bike,'' the 31-year-old said in an interview for a TV show that will be broadcast at the weekend after clocking disappointing times in tests.

Australian Stoner, who joined Honda in the close season, won the 2007 world championship with Ducati but a series of other riders have failed to be competitive on the distinctive red Italian bikes.

Italy's nine-time world champion Rossi said the shoulder he had surgery on in November is still not fully healed ahead of the season-opening Qatar Grand Prix on March 20.

He previously said he does not expect to be fully fit until April or May.

The Italian, who frequently performs well in rallies in the close season, also conceded that switching to Formula One was no longer an option for him.

''I had two chances to join Ferrari but now it's too late,'' he said, adding that he might have a semi-retirement in Superbikes when he eventually decides to quit MotoGP.
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Re: Rossi admits Ducati hard to handle

Postby Mad RS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm

I think Rossi used to idelise the Ducati and never really gave credit to Stoner and his ability. Stoner won the Championship and Rossi said it was the Bridgestones, Casey was fast so it must have been the bike........not so. Our boy has some skills and Rossi didn't give him credit. Now look what Casey is doing on the Honda. He's straight on it and faster than the other boys who have ridden the bike for a couple of seasons already.

This is going to be a big season for Casey Stoner. Anything less than the Championship might be a disappointment.
Run what ya brung...............make damn sure you brung enough!!!
Mad RS
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby MrWasabi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:52 pm

bugger...i knew this would happen...i still stand by my opinions however...
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby laidback » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 pm

MrWasabi wrote:bugger...i knew this would happen...i still stand by my opinions however...

Your entitled to your opinion...even if it is wrong... :)

What is it by the way...hehehe
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby jefflthomas » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:58 am

aardvark wrote: adding that he might have a semi-retirement in Superbikes when he eventually decides to quit MotoGP.

bet Biaggi loved that!!!....Image
'01 ZRX1200R ZR1200A1
jefflthomas
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Overseas

Postby hoffy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Biaggi would smoke him in superbikes.. :lol:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby s man » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:46 am

Mad RS wrote:I think Rossi used to idelise the Ducati and never really gave credit to Stoner and his ability. Stoner won the Championship and Rossi said it was the Bridgestones, Casey was fast so it must have been the bike........not so. Our boy has some skills and Rossi didn't give him credit. Now look what Casey is doing on the Honda. He's straight on it and faster than the other boys who have ridden the bike for a couple of seasons already.

This is going to be a big season for Casey Stoner. Anything less than the Championship might be a disappointment.

+1 RS.. Ive been saying it all last year, the Ducati is a POS & as soon as I found out Casey was goint to Honda I knew he would be fast. I think he's toying with them ATM. He will go faster yet! Rossi is a big headed poser, yes he is a great rider, but Caseys better by a long way. We'll have another world championship this year, & Casey wont be beaten for a few years, another Mighy Mick is comming with Honda & Casey. I dont have any doubt about it.
Now I'll hide from all the Rossi/Ducati army. VIVA le Aussie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby Mad RS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:28 pm

I wouldn't go as far as saying Casey is better than Rossi by a long way. Doing the old "Same day, same bike" I think it would be a very closely run thing with maybe Rossi coming out on top because of the following reasons. Over the last few years I have noticed a few times when Rossi was behind in a race he would use some dubious tactics to get past opponents.
1. Anyone sceen the footage of him sticking his elbow in Stoner in his debut year??
2. The cork screw against Stoner (ok may have just been a mistake on his part but he did push Stoner wide coming out of the corner)??
3. The hard racing against Lorenzo at the end of last year?? I think
4. Forgot the name of the rider he used as a braking marker on the last corner to win a few years back (other rider never really got his nerve back after that)

Rossi is good, Rossi is the best racer this world has ever seen but he is no angle and will use any tricks he can to win. He has the skill to pull them off.

My money is on Stoner or Lorenzo for 2011 Champion with a chance Lorenzo may get back to his falling off days trying to catch Stoner.
Mad RS
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Six Addict » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 pm

that was gibbersook (gibenau) and yes, he never won a race after that...

everyone think rossi is this happy go lucky guy, but he is ruthless and will punt someone off if it means winning
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Mad RS » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 am

I have a look on YouTube to see the Rossi pass on Gibernau again. It looks ever worse than I remembered. Not only did Rossi try for an early apex and ended up hitting Gibernau fairly hard but he continued to push him right off the track. I kind of remembered it as the hit first and Gibernau straighening up and going off track.

Now looking back at it I can't believe that Rossi got the win (at leist I think he did).

This will be a very humbling year for Rossi, I hope.
Mad RS
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby JD01 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 am

Mad RS wrote:I have a look on YouTube to see the Rossi pass on Gibernau again. It looks ever worse than I remembered. Not only did Rossi try for an early apex and ended up hitting Gibernau fairly hard but he continued to push him right off the track. I kind of remembered it as the hit first and Gibernau straighening up and going off track.

Now looking back at it I can't believe that Rossi got the win (at leist I think he did).

This will be a very humbling year for Rossi, I hope.

Every single race I hope to see someone do that to rossi, on the same corner would be better, and the winner should dedicate the win to Sete, Rossi would spew, but Sete let Rossi get under his skin, after that incident Rossi had him beat before they even got on the track.
JD01
Warming up
Warming up

State: Please Select a State

Postby Strika » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Rossi's comments may well be more spin doctoring.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Mad RS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 am

I could believe that Rossi's comment was "spin doctoring" if he was say half a second off the pace. He would be close enough to know if he could gain that last half second but running around the back of the top ten 1.8 seconds off the lead is a different story. Testing at that speed would give useless data to the team. 1.8 seconds in MotoGP is a lifetime. Your looking at being behind by 60 sec plus at the end of a race.

If it is "spin doctoring" then he is even better than we all think. I wouldn't be surprised if Rossi doesn't make it into the top five this year.

Who knows???? Bring on round 1 at Qatar!!!!!
Mad RS
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby jefflthomas » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 am

Mad RS wrote:Who knows???? Bring on round 1 at Qatar!!!!!

my feelings exactly!!!....good signature btw...LOL
'01 ZRX1200R ZR1200A1
jefflthomas
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Overseas

Postby red_dave » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:06 pm

You know what's hard to handle??

Being beaten by me in this - http://www.ksrc-au.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33827 :kuda: :kuda:
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Next

Return to General Racing Discussion