Switch to full style
General Discussion
Forum rules
Post a reply

Thinking of upgrading

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:34 pm

Well after having two ZX7's for the last 10+ years, I am thinking of upgrading the road bike :shock:
I am thinking a late model 636 or a 10....my initial questions are is the 10 overkill for the road and will I have to rev the a 636 to death?

Re: Thinking of upgrading

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Owen Sentana has a nice '05 636 for sale with low kms.
My '04 zx10 will be for sale as soon as I find the rego papers in the filing cabinet.

Why don't you test ride them and see? Anyone else's opinion won't mean much, while how you feel on board the bike will tell you straight away. And then you can go buy a brand new one and piss us both off ;)

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Ah, just noticed you said "late model", so ignore my comment.

But if you do wanna take my zx10 for a blat, you're more than welcome. It's insured so if you found a bush turkey while on your test ride, you'd save me the hassle of listing it on bikesales lol ;)

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Greenblood wrote:Well after having two ZX7's for the last 10+ years, I am thinking of upgrading the road bike :shock:
I am thinking a late model 636 or a 10....my initial questions are is the 10 overkill for the road

Yes, that's no reason not to get one.....

Greenblood wrote: and will I have to rev the a 636 to death?

Yes, that's no reason not to get one.....

hope that helps.
;)

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Absolutely love the 6 on road and track, but do admit when I took Robs Gumby for a ride loved the extra grunt and size.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:25 am

10!
I went from a zx7r to a Gen 3 (09 ZX10R) & love it. :kuda:
Did consider a 6 but went with the 10(always wanted a litre bike). Overkill for the street....maybe but the people that say that don't own one & are just jealous. :)
As others have said test ride them both & go from there.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am

Having gone from the 10 to the 6, it certainly is different..
A lot more revs and gear changes required and the grunts is just not there..

Having said that, yes the 10 is overkill and trying to keep to a sane speed is difficult. The 6 is a lot of fun, its small, easy to flick around, revs its tits of, and on the road it won't be left behind - too much...
Perhaps the novelty will wear off and the constant gear changing and revs will get on my nerves, but atm, I like it can't see me wanting a 10 (for the road anyway)..

Your welcome to have a ride on my 09 zx6r if ya like...

Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for all the help (Matt) :) and offers guys :kuda: .....now to make some time for test rides.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:12 pm

:kuda: nothing beats riding bikes!

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 pm

Cath wrote:Ah, just noticed you said "late model", so ignore my comment.

But if you do wanna take my zx10 for a blat, you're more than welcome. It's insured so if you found a bush turkey while on your test ride, you'd save me the hassle of listing it on bikesales lol ;)

Thanks for the offer Cath.....I have been lucky with the bush turkeys so far....so cant help you with that :lol:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:07 am

You can take my crim for a spin if you like.

10 is overkill. But you can ride super lazy and there is always power on tap.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Wattie wrote:You can take my crim for a spin if you like.

10 is overkill. But you can ride super lazy and there is always power on tap.

Do this^

When I rode his Crim through the Putty it was fun and insanely quick compared to the zeddy and six!

Madkaw has given you the best description of what owning a six is like on the road :kuda:

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:27 am

Its not all about power for me, it's the comfort factor I am after. I'try a 3rd gen Z1000 before you set your heart on a sportsbike. My tip would be to ride a well set up one (like Rod's for example, ohlins rear, full akra 4-1) and see what you think.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:21 pm

I just got back from a test ride on a new ZX636 and ZX10r.........OMG things have improved from the old days :shock:
The 6 felt like my track bike, I think a bit too track for the road but a great motor and no need to rev it to death.
The 10 felt like a 600 with a monster motor, but the demo bike I rode had an issue with the brakes were a bit of an issue after the monster brakes on the six.

I am leaning towards the 10 so easy to ride, seat is better than the 6 and turn in is soooo easy. :)

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:32 pm

Buy the 10.
If you let it, it will obliterate all speed limits....but they're just so much damn fun
Post a reply