Exhausts and dB

General Discussion

Exhausts and dB

Postby Z1000 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I made an earlier post in another thread which discussed if anyone had problems with aftermarket exhaust systems, the amount of noise and the police. To bring this out a bit further into the discussion I thought I would post part two of my experiences in the general area so more people can be included.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I decided to change my stock exhaust on the Z1000 to a 4 into 1 Micron System. No problems whatsoever getting one and having it installed. Went to pick it up and noticed that it was loud but didn't really think much more of it.

What alerted me to the fact that it was LOUD was people turning around when I was going along the street and the fact that I couldn't hear much more in the traffic apart from my brain rattling because of the noise. This led me to do a little research about the law, exhausts and noise levels.

I searched the Transport sites and really found nothing. Then I was hooked up with a great block called Chris Coote. He knows his shit. Anyway just so everyone knows there is laws that govern exhaust noise in QLD and other states with NSW being the most strict in the country.

I hear you ask so what is the law?

Well no bike can be over 94dB at half rev's in a stationary position. This is all based on ADR (Australian Design Rule) your bike has been built under. For instance my Z1000 was built in ADR 39.

Mine happened to be 101dB. Which is a little over the top if anyone knows how dB are measured. For those who are interested you can look at this site. It gives a list of different measurements at Home, Work and Recreation.

So, I decided to drop the bike into a bunch of guys at Slacks Creek called the Motorcycle Exhaust Professionals and talked with Noel and Ivan. Excellent service and they really know the laws. So if you have done an aftermarket exhaust system I would suggest you get it checked out as the laws will be changing in January 2005 and the "word" is that the Police are going to start enforcing this on QLD roads after my discussions with Noel and Ivan. Now my exhaust sings (and still sounds great with smoother low down power) at a very legal 92.7dB and should I go to a track day etc I can put it back to the 101dB and "feel" it. The changes made to my Micron are removable should I ever need too via way of a baffle.

I hope this helps those who want to be "legal" in the true sense of the word.

Finally, some further information:

"Current levels enforced in Queensland are 94dB for bikes made on or after 1.3.1964, 96dB for bikes made between 1.7.1965 and 28.2.1984, and 100dB for bikes made before 1.7.1975. Car levels are 90dB for cars made on or after 1.1.1963 and 96dB for cars make before that date. Enforcement allows on 1 dB leeway for cars and 2dB leeway for motorbikes."
Z1000

Bike: Z1000
State: Queensland

re: Exhausts and dB

Postby KLR » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:58 pm

I have a slipon Micron on my 04 ZX6, so you are saying you have had a baffle put in to reduce the noise, if so how much did it cost you incase I ever run fowl of the law.
Nothing At All.
KLR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Re: Exhausts and dB

Postby aardvark » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:42 pm

Z1000 wrote:I searched the Transport sites and really found nothing. Then I was hooked up with a great block called Chris Coote. He knows his shit.

Is he the bloke from the Australian Standards Dept, knows all about ADR's? His name rings a bell...
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Yankee » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:21 pm

um, i don't know about you but I LIKE having as loud a bike as possible... I LIKE it when other motorist NOTICE me due to whatever reasons.... sound, sight (laughable anyone using their mirrors!), etc.
So why the big crack down on this all of a sudden? It is ACTUALLY safer to have a louder exhaust, i would argue! do they want us all to die with sewing machine sounding exhausts? for the record i have a stock can!
Yankee
Team Ninja

Postby SeanZX9R » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:55 am

Great bit of info Z1000.
SeanZX9R
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: re: Exhausts and dB

Postby Z1000 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:43 am

Blue636 wrote:I have a slipon Micron on my 04 ZX6, so you are saying you have had a baffle put in to reduce the noise, if so how much did it cost you incase I ever run fowl of the law.

It cost me a little more than usual but its about $70-80 for the baffle. The guys had to work for quite a while on my system to get it into the correct range.

A sound test will cost you about $45.00 and you get a complete report at the end of it in writing. A copy of mine is now under the seat :D
Z1000

Postby Z1000 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:45 am

aardvark wrote:
Z1000 wrote:I searched the Transport sites and really found nothing. Then I was hooked up with a great block called Chris Coote. He knows his shit.

Is he the bloke from the Australian Standards Dept, knows all about ADR's? His name rings a bell...

He might be. Chris has worked with the NSW Gov when they were doing the laws about noise etc from Motorbikes. He has a database of the ADR's and is building on it all the time. He is now located in QLD and working with the MRAQ.
Z1000

Postby Z1000 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:48 am

Yankee wrote:So why the big crack down on this all of a sudden? It is ACTUALLY safer to have a louder exhaust, i would argue! do they want us all to die with sewing machine sounding exhausts? for the record i have a stock can!

I am not saying there IS going to be a blitz. This is just some general information for those who want to be kind to the rest of the world and be "legal". If you have a stock can (the one that came with the bike) then I would be 95% sure that it complies to the ADR under which it was built. So this means you have no problems. I am only talking about aftermarket slipons and full systems, i.e. Micron, Yoshi etc etc.
Z1000

Postby Nanna10r » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:17 am

Interesting post Chris, so its $45 for the test then $70-$80 for the removable baffle. Thats all costs to get it done ?. The post baffle test is in those prices ?. Thats a fair price for peace of mind, defect wise.
Cheers Brett
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Z1000 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:41 am

Pontikat wrote:Interesting post Chris, so its $45 for the test then $70-$80 for the removable baffle. Thats all costs to get it done ?. The post baffle test is in those prices ?. Thats a fair price for peace of mind, defect wise.
Cheers Brett

Exactly. $45 for a noise test. $70-$80 for a baffle to be made up but it will cost more if they have to work on it for hours and hours like they did with mine.

Remember everyone this is only if you have, or bought a bike with an aftermarket muffler. For instance if I had of left the gold pipes on mine you wouldn't have to worry at all as the bike has been made with them to meet the specified ADR.
Z1000

Postby red_dave » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:06 pm

Those guys in Slacks Creek also do up stock cans to be a bit lounder and give you more mid range power. They charge around $180 for the re-jig and also keep it below the legal dB limit...
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R

Postby kempy » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:43 pm

Fark that.

My bike has a sticker on it, stating that it passed the stupid test and came in at 92dB.

Why the hell am I going to buy a performance pipe, to stuff it down with some baffling to make it legal again? I mean really, these pipes are just more open, straight through cans with less baffling. Why make it as useless as your stock pipe again?

And I'm not going to go taking off and putting back baffling at trackdays, cos there's no way in hell im going to keep buggering around with the tuning.
kempy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Neka79 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:39 pm

i had one sumwhere for my staintune (cant find it now)..i wouldnt have it in
all the time, but if u get defected u put it in to clear defect, take it out
5 min later..saves changing a whole system or can!!
Neka
2000 CBR 929RR
1988 KDX200 thrasher
1996 VS SERIES 2 UTE
"dont hate me cos im sexy, hate me cos ur mrs thinks im sexy"

Post generated using Mail 2 Forum (http://m2f.sourceforge.net)
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900
State: South Australia

Postby mrmina » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:04 pm

well i havent been pulled over, and most bike i see have after market zorts on them.

the government had some stupid rules and policies.
[url]www.rmsmg.com.au
mrmina

Return to General Discussion