Kawasaki Sales - What do you think.??

General Discussion

re: Kawasaki Sales - What do you think.??

Postby aardvark » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:17 am

I think right now would be the perfect time for Kawasaki to introduce a ZX2R that looks like the new 6 or 10. They'd corner the market without too much problem.
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby ty » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:21 am

now THAT's thinking
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda
State: New South Wales

Postby spekt-r » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:04 am

aardvark wrote:I think right now would be the perfect time for Kawasaki to introduce a ZX2R that looks like the new 6 or 10. They'd corner the market without too much problem.

Definately, a sports 250 update has been long overdue.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" screw it then i'll just be bad.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Re: re: Kawasaki Sales - What do you think.??

Postby mattyv74 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:30 am

spekt-r wrote:Definately, a sports 250 update has been long overdue.

Stick them all on GPX's, ZZR's and Acrosses.
If you speak with any wrecker, repairer, or insurance company, they'll tell you that Baby blades (both models) are the most crashed bike they deal with.
Riders only have 15months to become familar with riding and all the new challenges that road riding pressent before they get let loose on flighty sports bikes.

Although the baby blade will be quicker than gpx's, zzr's and all the other 250 four strockers, I'd say it's a fair bet that you'd learn a a LOT more about bike control and feel on the less hoony bikes.

I'd be better rider today if I started on placid 250.

As much as L & P platers will hate me for saying it, the legal 250's are crap when it comes punting hard (except maybe down mountain passes). They don't go, and they are way too nervy at any kind of speed. The liitle buggers just disappear into decent potholes.

I think the tried and true models that K make repressents a responsible offering. They just need to market it correctly.
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

Postby spekt-r » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:09 pm

I think the tried and true models that K make repressents a responsible offering. They just need to market it correctly.

This is very true but remember that lots of people want to be completely IRRESPONSIBLE on their bike, its kinda what hoony bikes are about to some extent. :twisted:
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" screw it then i'll just be bad.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby KLR » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:10 pm

As brought up in another thread about the cost of the 05 ZX6R, I still think they will sell cheaply.

For the simple reason, they need to cause they just dont have the market that the other three top manufacturers as pointed out in this thread.

I wouldnt be surprised if you see them go for 13,500 ride away.

I know this is sort of deviating off the jist of this thread.

Just my 2c
Nothing At All.
KLR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Derek_C » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:29 am

I think it's the lack of racing that hurts them the most in the sportsbike category. Unfortunately, as the smallest bike manufacturer, it cost Kawasaki more $$ per bike sold to go racing, even though their budget is a fraction of Honda's. The other problem is that motorcycles is a small part of KHI's business (about 10%). The ships, power generators and so on are much bigger (though not as profitable). Whereas Honda & Suzuki just make motor vehicles and for Yamaha it is half their business.

I'm not sure what the answer is. When you are the fourth player, your advertising budget isn't as big, your race budget isn't as big, you find it harder to attract good people (especially management types).

I think the Aussie management has been questionable for some time. The Kawasaki dealers always seem to do it tougher than the other brands.

Let's hope a big motogp season in '05 will be reflected in sales.
'05 KTM 990 Superduke
Derek_C

Postby MickLC » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:39 am

mattyv74 wrote:I'd be better rider today if I started on placid 250.

If you're including the GPX into this category I'd agree. I learnt heaps about bike control trying to keep up with my mates on their bigger bikes. I also kept it for almost 2 years and rode it every day so I got about 30,000km clocked up on it in all sorts of conditions.

When I finally got the 9 it was a big transition, but I had enough control to cope with it.
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby TopCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:14 am

Racing was the reason I bought the ZRX.

I remember back in 1981/2, supping tea with a bacon butty around the fire, so poor that we didn't have shoes, used to lace up our toes, reading Cycle World and seeing Eddie Lawson win the AMA on a 1000J. Admired him for winning and beating the better equiped Honda and Suzuki teams with their race parts, fancy trailers and big budgets. But I've let go, I'm over it now.

Started on a Z200 (in-line single cylinder) with a thumper and torquey motor that could just about pull the skin of a rice pud. Went through Z400J, Z650C and GPZ750 Unitrak and many other makes before proposing to the ZRX. Get the punter on a good learner and you've a better chance of keeping them (Z200 as a good learner?).

These days nobody goes through the courtship process, the getting to know you stages. Its all lust and the tartiest flashest fastest bike gets the nod. Therefore its the high profile racing / advertising dollars that hooks the rider with no loyalty (aka RI / Gixxas / Blades).

My 5c (thats inflation for you)
Seeya,
Tony
TopCat
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Victoria

Postby mrmina » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:45 pm

i agree a minature 6r would take over the market.

or at least something that looks better than the zzr or gpx 250.
[url]www.rmsmg.com.au
mrmina

Postby kempy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:55 pm

No, i'm afraid it wouldn't.

Theres a clear reason why 250 sports bikes aren't made anymore. For one, legal situations differ worldwide (having the 250cc restriction).

Secondly, we're talking learners here people. Young people, students, people with no damn money. The CBR250RR last sold here for $9,700 (and continued to be massively outsold by cheap 2nd hand imports). If like me you came from cbr250.com, you can grasp a pretty firm picture of the people who buy 250s. They don't have that sort of money.

Hell, Honda has gone to lengths to "corner" this market. The NSR150, round about the same performance specifications of a CBR250. But, a stroke. Sold for $6K at first, didn't sell, could pick the up for as little as $4K, they still don't sell.

Its a waste of time, effort and money.

Particularly, when for 5-10K, you can pick up anything from an old blade with a few ks, a newish 6er, 750 etc. Why pay that sort of money for a 250?
kempy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Postby mrmina » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:17 pm

still these 250's a bought new by some people who can afford them and the circulate taking a pounding by learners.

still people will by them new.
[url]www.rmsmg.com.au
mrmina

Postby kempy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:38 pm

But in no where near the capacity needed for the company to make money off them. Think of all the R&D that goes into the making of a bike. Enormous amounts of money for a bike that will sell dismally. How many Official aus-imported CBR250RRs do you see? Bugger all. How many imported CBR250s do you see? They're everywhere.

They don't sell, thats why honda tried to develop and sell the NSR150. Which doesn't sell either.
kempy
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Neka79 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:11 pm

my 1st bike was a honda mvx250....2 stroke triple, made for only 1 year in
83 or 84 (been a while)..that thing rocked,when it was going!!..i use to
blow off acrosses,zzr,gpx & just about nething else..the cbr250 would catch
me at about 130 , but up till then...mind u riding a 2 stroke is a diff
kettle of fish..i learnt fuk all about engine braking (hence why i think the
rgv etc should NOT b learner legal-they are in SA, not in nsw)....mind u i
came from a few yrs experience wen i got mine..
Neka
2000 CBR 929RR
1988 KDX200 thrasher
1996 VS SERIES 2 UTE
"dont hate me cos im sexy, hate me cos ur mrs thinks im sexy"

Post generated using Mail 2 Forum (http://m2f.sourceforge.net)
Neka79
Extreme Post Whore :-)

Bike: Z900

Re: Kawasaki Sales - What do you think.??

Postby Neka79 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:23 pm

> Started on a Z200 (in-line single cylinder)

as opposed to a single cylinder v twin or inline 4??lol.. what was it in
line with??
Neka
2000 CBR 929RR
1988 KDX200 thrasher
1996 VS SERIES 2 UTE
"dont hate me cos im sexy, hate me cos ur mrs thinks im sexy"

Post generated using Mail 2 Forum (http://m2f.sourceforge.net)
Neka79

Bike: Z900

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion