Putty Road

General Discussion

Putty Road

Postby Damon Z1000 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:45 pm

Long time, no visit......appologies, been flat out working and family stuff.
Mrs has nodded off on her Sunday arvo nanna nap....so I'm just about to take a ride up the Putty Rd out of Windsor.
Heard so much about it I thought I would give it a go.Should be interesting...
May have a job coming up, think I've developed a little play in my head bearing,anyone ever changed one?Still not 100% sure that is the problem,I'm gonna have to take her off the road for a while and go for a strip down and rebuild on the front end.
Always pisses me when I have to do work on the bike as its valuable riding time I'm missing out on, but we all have to maintain our machines if we are gonna keep ourselves safe.ESPECIALLY front ends!!!
Gonna see if the brake dust build up is even so I can rule out warped discs.I'll see how she goes now and leave a report.
Don't suppose anyone could give me a rough idea on the price of a set of aftermarket brake discs?I've been trying to find a retailer for good aftermarket parts but I'm struggling..
All for now, regards to you all.
Later :lol:
Damon Z1000
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

re: Putty Road

Postby icebreaker » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 pm

For discs mate, I recommend Ozzie/Aussie Discs..

Grahem does his own disc, you send him yours, he re-floats the new disc on your old center (Really no idea on the proper terminology) and send them back to you in an overnight bag that you slip in the envelope with your discs.. self addressed..

So say you send them Monday, he gets them Tuesday and sends them tuesday, you get them Wednesday.. So not a bad turn around.. And he's HEAPS cheaper..

I know of 1 member that went on my reco, and got them and was happy with them, just can't remember who it was..

Give him a buzz and see how you go. To give you an idea. it was going to be $195ea for the discs on the front of my ZX2R.. If i recal correctly PS wanted about $250-350 per disc.. With NO discount for buying 2.. And I even saw them right down the cost price.. Mark up was something like $100 per disc... Big Retail Bike shop call Peter Stevens, who has never heard of discounting prices for cash, unless you know someone there.. YAY!.. (/end rant)

Grahame - Ozebike Discs (Spelling??? Never did clarify...)
07 3200 0644
0429 034 263
Ducati Monster S2R1000
Kawasaki '77 Z1000A1, '76 z900 (Project) & '78 Z1000A2 (Project)

http://www.unihost.com.au - Affordable, Reliable Webhostng
icebreaker
Administrator
Administrator

State: Tasmania

Postby spekt-r » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:26 pm

AHHH the Putty road, I used to live on the Army base in Singleton so Ive been down the putty a few times, I didnt have my bike with me then though so I never got to ride it. :(
Steering head bearings on the 9 is like a 30-45 minute job so I wouldnt worry too much about it mate.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" screw it then i'll just be bad.
spekt-r
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Nanna10r » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:31 am

ahhh the Putty Road used to live in Tamworth during my aprrenticeship n Uni days at Newcastle, did the Putty half a dozen times nice bit of road the 20 odds k of twisties. As for discs i had them done for the liddle fzr6 2-3 months back Used Graham out at Greenbank I did a drop of pick up same visit after i rang n told him what i wanted. which worked well as my Carriers had metal fatigue n the replacement ones were perfect. Very happy with the new discs n saved a bootfull of coinage.
Cheers Brett
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby Damon Z1000 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:13 pm

Made it back in one piece, what a ride, not a car to be seen, lots of wobbly motorbike signs everywhere, for reasons I don't know why :twisted:
On the way out, took it easy as I wasn't used to the roads, once out past Colo Heights thing got more interesting....
Wound it on a little until saw the signs for twisties, again decided to take it easy as it was a lonesome ride, that was a good idea as when I chanced to look at the scenery I realised that the drop offs we're huge and there was no coming back from an error.
I don't know wether anyone agrees but the road quality isn't fantastic, lots of surface repairs on the ride lines, loose stuff and pots and ripples in the wrong places.....made it that much more exciting.
Didn't make it to Singleton but rode out for a good hour and fifteen.
The way back, went a bit harder, but still had to be careful of road surface, but it was great :) .
As for the vibration in the front, the brake pads seem to be wearing quite evenly, with even distribution of dust, so it leads me to think its gotta be head bearing.
I'm gonna go for a stip down before Xmas and get it sorted, maybe a visit to see Wayne at Parra Kawa for a set of bearings eh?
He's the guy I bought me 9 off and he seems like a top sort of guy.
Anyway boys thats all for know, anybody else gives the putty a go tell me how you got on.
Be good :wink:
Damon Z1000
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby MadKaw » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:06 am

Ahh the Putty Road... I remember the times before I had kids riding up to Broke and back... blah, blah, blah...:-)

Now its just Eastern Creek..

I notice your in Bligh Park Damon, I'm just around the corner...
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Return to General Discussion