Go Karts

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

Re: Go Karts

Postby philbo » Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Looks like an ax9 . Arrow are a great band and easy to get parts. Stones bros were my kart dealer years ago. bit weird for the owner to not know which model it is
If its only for a trackday occasionally you could look at getting a 125 have double the power, water cooled and electric start.
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Postby laidback » Sat May 05, 2012 8:18 pm

98ninja wrote:To revive an old thread
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arrow-Clubma ... 2ebddcabf3
Laidback, what do you think of it?

Mate that seems like a reasonable buy. Back in the day Stone Bros were great engine builders.

I do think that a 50mm axle would be better but my knowledge is a bit old know so not sure how relevant.
Bear in mind that axles are expensive ($300?) and different hubs also give different handling characteristics.
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby 98ninja » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Another revival.......
How many hours do you get out of the clubman engines before they need a rebuild?
Im looking at a kart with 20 hours use on the engine. Its racing use as well if that makes any difference.
99 zx9r - back
98ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R

Postby laidback » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm

98ninja wrote:Another revival.......
How many hours do you get out of the clubman engines before they need a rebuild?
Im looking at a kart with 20 hours use on the engine. Its racing use as well if that makes any difference.

20 hours is a fair bit, say 15 race meetings.
Probably more important though is how long since last rebuild and what size piston is in it as this will determine how much life it's got left.

Another is who has been building/rebuilding the engine. Any of the top builders will give you a heads-up on the condition...worth a call.
Roady - ZRX1200R

laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby philbo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Most race motors are rebuilt after about 4-5 races, forget how long it was with blueprinting hours, never meant much in go karting.

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby 98ninja » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Holy thread revival.
Had my first outing today in Haas chassis'd rotax at Cameron Park.
MG red tyres with restrictor plate.
Anyway, I turned up and there was 3 other people there. One junior and two guys with rotax's who
were also on the practice day bandwagon. It was a matter of, Go to the office, show your licence,
pay your $30 and fill in your details on the sheet and go.
I ended up doing two sessions of about 6 laps each. Towards the end of the 2nd session I noticed the brakes didnt
feel so good and I was carrying an awful lot of corner speed without meaning to.
I pulled off the track and the master cylinder had shat itself. So I called it a day.
$30 stings alot less than $249.
The kart is at the only local kart shop getting the master cylinder checked out.
A few things to note
1. Man these things have some grip
2. They oversteer through weight distribution AND through too much throttle
3. They go where you point them
4. 20 psi off track means 30 psi on track when its 35 degree air temp.

Great fun
99 zx9r - back
98ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm

98ninja wrote:A few things to note

Great fun

you got that much of a tyre pressure change? the rule of thumb when i was racing was you should only see a 2-3 psi change
yep they are awesome fun with the grip, just need to learn to be smooth but i prefered sliding everywhere, so was harsh on the steering,
never got the chance to drive a rotax always wanted to race em but funds didnt allow.
if you go out in the wet to get extra grip lean your body weight over the opposite wheel so if your turning left lean your weight over the front left wheel, its what you do on slicks in the wet ;)

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby laidback » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:13 pm

philbo wrote:
98ninja wrote:A few things to note

Great fun

you got that much of a tyre pressure change? the rule of thumb when i was racing was you should only see a 2-3 psi change
yep they are awesome fun with the grip, just need to learn to be smooth but i prefered sliding everywhere, so was harsh on the steering,
never got the chance to drive a rotax always wanted to race em but funds didnt allow.
if you go out in the wet to get extra grip lean your body weight over the opposite wheel so if your turning left lean your weight over the front left wheel, its what you do on slicks in the wet ;)

Also, if you do use slicks in the wet then pump them up hard so they crown = less rubber on the track = more PSI = more grip.
Some corners/tracks will have a lot more grip on the outside of corners...trial and error required.
If wets available far more fun though.

When you get the brakes fixed it should stop on a dime (well 10c anyway)...its hard to believe how quick. :shock:

Now don't be a woose and get that restrictor out. 8)
Roady - ZRX1200R

laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Blurr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm

I have to admitt I have been looking into this also.

Not sure what all the karts are and how the classes fit together but it is a shit load cheaper than bike racing and would be pretty fun.

Have looked at the subaru class to get started but that through lasted about a minute and am now thinking the Pro Kart twin engine series would be cool, especially the 24 hours race. I would have already done it but the arrive and race company that was set up last year folded just as we were about to book.

Now it is just a matter of buying a kart but before that I need to learn more about the classes and race locations.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 pm

you want to go tag russ, electric start water cooled 125cc motors, me personally you would be wasting your time doing anything else these days, arrow karts are very popular, and are good to, aussie brand from melbourne been around for 35+ years now itd have to be!!! phark been that long since i bought, there are some awesome race locations esp in nsw, dubbo, newwy, coffs harbour, port macquarie, not too sure whats down your way.
eastern creek karts did king of the creek back in the early 00's and opened up the whole track, which was 2.4km long was unreal, was unlucky not to race at it, but flaggyied it and damn i wanted to be out there that day/night

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Blurr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm

yep I have Cameron park, Port Macquarie and Coffs not to far away along with Eastern creek, picton, lithgow, albion park and Butterfly Farm being viable options.

I would want to do a series that is controlled/sealed engines with weighting catergories. Thats why I was looking at the 2 mentioned.
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:38 pm

all kart categories run by AKA (aust karting assoc) have min weights to run jnr national light what i raced was min 115kg with jnr national heavy being 135kg, the only categories that dont have that split weights is rookie and midgets, which i'm pretty sure your just over the age limit :lol: :lol:
all classes in the aka are control engines, the rules are outlined as to what engines can be run, there is more options now in the 125 class with leopard, rotax and iame i think, i havent looked at the rules or categories for ages but i look every now and then at karting, would love to get back into it again but $$$$ isnt good for it

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Disco » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Stopping=Crashing!
Disco
Team Monster

State: Please Select a State

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:42 pm

lithgow were talking of doing upgrades to it back in 2010 not sure what stage if at all where they are at with it, i liked all the tracks i went to, struggled with setup at newwy but the tracks were great back in 2002, remember racing in orange and flat out along the straight through the right hander, flat out down the hill into the chicane which u could straight line and for quick second have no steering cos the front would be just off the ground :kuda:

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Blurr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:04 pm

yeah for all account Lithgow aint bad now. Or so a couple of guys who raced it this winter told me. Apart from them not feeling there hands and having to replace the tires for skate blades they said it was tops :kuda:
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion