cars

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

Re: cars

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Johnnyflash wrote:Had lots of VW's over the years including 2 golf gti's. Most recently had a 2009 transport 2.5tdi.

I will safely say after spending big on repair bills, I will never buy one again! All manual transmission vw/Audi/skoda give horrific clutch problems and they're big $$$$ to repair! Dual mass flywheel is a curse.....

Suspension bushes disintegrating long before they're time, sensor failures, electrical gremlins.... List goes on!

German build quality my arse.... Buy something Japanese , once it's not a Mazda RX 8!!!!! There's a reason the rotary engine never went into mass production across all brands!

after having many issues with the manual setup in my falcon i'm going to be looking at what the japs have, their vehicles are by far more reliable than any on the road.
I have been up in the air with the RX8 and agree with the whole rotary thing my old man said the same about em.
To be honest I think i'm heading towards a Grand Vitara i know i know hairdressers car, but based on there nimble, suzuki's are reliable and can take it off road, which is a massive plus over here on the west coast, plus will be able to hold my push bike when i go to triathlons or cycle events . Was thinking i have my bike if i need a speed kick.....
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm

young1 wrote:
Jonnymac wrote:Hmmm heard lots of bad things about costs once out of warranty esp gearboxes.

Get a Subaru 2007ish Rex around 20 with less than 100k on it

Nee bad...also have a look at the honda integra,s type R or S there around 4 about 20k philbo
Ive had a couple of them great cars.. vtec preludes also worth a scan.
Had 4 hondas from new & nothing ever went wrong with any of them mate..1 drivers side auto window in 10yrs.

will do cheers mate, everyone seems to have a rex these days. Japanese = reliability

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Naked Twin wrote:
Johnnyflash wrote:Had lots of VW's over the years including 2 golf gti's. Most recently had a 2009 transport 2.5tdi.

I will safely say after spending big on repair bills, I will never buy one again! All manual transmission vw/Audi/skoda give horrific clutch problems and they're big $$$$ to repair! Dual mass flywheel is a curse.....

Suspension bushes disintegrating long before they're time, sensor failures, electrical gremlins.... List goes on!

German build quality my arse.... Buy something Japanese , once it's not a Mazda RX 8!!!!! There's a reason the rotary engine never went into mass production across all brands!

So after all the vw's it took the Transporter to stop buying them? So either you are a slow learner or they weren't that bad.

The basic running gear, engine gear box has been used across the many platforms of VW, Skoda and Audi for very few issues considering how many were made around the world. A few internet searches will reveal the vast majority of most vehicles are fine but like anything imported when they break are expensive

I think if you do search you will find that every vehicle no matter what brand you will find an unhappy customer. The issue with Japanese is very few are doing a decent performance car within a budget, you are limited to the Honda type r and the RX8

The rotary actually is quite a reliable engine but highly misunderstood by the masses. I work with a guy who has one that does sub 10 second quarters road registered, but he won't put a roll cage and shutes so can't go back. In his words they are easy to work on and keep running you just need to know what you are doing. You don't win a LeMans 24 hour, smash the opposition in the 12 hour by luck. Fact is the issue with the rotary was not reliability but cost to build, however ultimately the real issue is the emissions, even back in the 70s to comply they had to alter the engine to meet the standard but that increased fuel consumption. The real issue with the RX8 is that they are so under tuned that they are really a disappointment for a rotary.

Having said all that, asking for advice about cars on a bike forum probably isn't going to get you answers. Would suggest jumping on the forums for those brands you are interested in ask there, even here if you ask about the 10 you will get an honest appraisal about them.

cheers mate, i figured this way with a diverse group i'd get a better opinion, or more honest option, the sports car thing would be nice but yeah as my mate said yesterday, i'll prob wont be happy with whatever i buy :lol:

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby fireyrob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Owned a manual 2010 golf gti and it was a deadset lemon with many differing warranty issues from clutches going, failing power windows, leaking rear window wiper spray, uneven rear tyre wear... Traded in at Subaru earlier this year and avoided paying for a new crankshaft, flywheel, clutch after it was all realigned after 12 months it went again 10 months later supposedly. Was given BS about towing too heavy which wasnt the case but I couldnt prove otherwise. I just think they know the clutch was a POS and were trying to avoid another repair. Was cheaper and easier to trade it. The 2 other owners of Mark VI golfs I know of have both had their DSG boxes replaced under warranty but fear post warranty repairs. Buy at your own peril! I now drive a Subaru (9 months in and not 1 problem) and wont buy German ever again!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby fireyrob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

If I was single Id buy a V8 ute without hesitation. 5-7 years old and I reckon youd easily find one for under 18K
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:00 pm

fireyrob wrote:If I was single Id buy a V8 ute without hesitation. 5-7 years old and I reckon youd easily find one for under 18K

yeah sick of paying big fuel bills too but would love to own one but after the issues i've had i'm hesitant with buying aus again.
to name a few cracked firewall, which was in excess of $3500 to fix, snapping clutch cables, water leaking into the cab, heavy clutch pedal which cant be changed,

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby fireyrob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Thats cause its a ford :lol:

Anything older than 10 years your gonna start to get issues. Luck of the draw! V8's in stock form tend to have stronger running gear etc but who knows how its been treated. But then again current falcons have diff's going, current Commodore V8's can seize the drivetrains, Commodore V6 motors apparently have issues...

Just go buy a Getz and a trackbike :lol:
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:36 pm

fireyrob wrote:Thats cause its a ford :lol:

Anything older than 10 years your gonna start to get issues. Luck of the draw! V8's in stock form tend to have stronger running gear etc but who knows how its been treated. But then again current falcons have diff's going, current Commodore V8's can seize the drivetrains, Commodore V6 motors apparently have issues...

Just go buy a Getz and a trackbike :lol:

hahaha will a getz tow a trackbike :P

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Six Addict » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:44 pm

miz rx3 towed a trailer with 2 bikes... in a swift i think...
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby fireyrob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Getz or a Swift tow 400kg unbraked. Box trailer plus bike is approx 350kg. The official tow rating would have a safety margin :lol: Too Easy!!!

I saw a manual Yaris towing a Rwon into EC about a month ago :)
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby fireyrob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Mazda 2 unbraked is 500kg :shock:

Saw heaps on carsales and reckon for 9-10 grand youd get a very good late model car!

A handbag will be cheap, reliable, tell the chicks your confident and dont need a bigger schlong and afford you a trackbike!!!
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Strika » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:33 pm

For those defending VW's........... Your the person I heard about that got the good one......... :)

I work in the industry and have done all my life. Go spend some time on a VW showroom floor and watch the sales people on tender hooks after a customer picks up their new VW. They are always waiting for the phone call that says "My new car has stopped".......

Or even better, go talk to some of the techs who work on them. They are a reliability nightmare!!! I cannot tell you how many VW's I have seen siting int he service bay attempting to diagnose an undiagnosable issue. It's not just the manual boxes that are shite either. The DSG is a piece of crap, as are most of the electrical items. Electric windows falling down is just VW "Character" ...........

By something Japanese, or even better, buy a Hyundai or a Kia. They are perhaps one of the most reliable cars on the road today.......... (Never thought I would see/hear myself saying that last one, but they are truly fantastic cars these days.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby fireyrob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 pm

I wish Id spoken to you in early 2010 Marty :cry:
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Blurr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Strika wrote:For those defending VW's........... Your the person I heard about that got the good one......... :)

I work in the industry and have done all my life. Go spend some time on a VW showroom floor and watch the sales people on tender hooks after a customer picks up their new VW. They are always waiting for the phone call that says "My new car has stopped".......

Or even better, go talk to some of the techs who work on them. They are a reliability nightmare!!! I cannot tell you how many VW's I have seen siting int he service bay attempting to diagnose an undiagnosable issue. It's not just the manual boxes that are shite either. The DSG is a piece of crap, as are most of the electrical items. Electric windows falling down is just VW "Character" ...........

By something Japanese, or even better, buy a Hyundai or a Kia. They are perhaps one of the most reliable cars on the road today.......... (Never thought I would see/hear myself saying that last one, but they are truly fantastic cars these days.

Agreed I meet vw master techs and services manager every week and let's just say that they know that there jobs are safe :)
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 pm

get forked!!!!! :shock:
so your saying a matchbox car can do that :shock: :shock: