cars

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

Re: cars

Postby Johnnie5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:42 pm

tim wrote:Oh yeah, and my friends dad has a shed-find 1999 WRX with 35,000 in showroom condition if you or anyone's interested, he's not in a rush to sell and wants slightly over your budget Philbo

he will be waiting for quite a while for $20K
Johnnie5
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Johnnie5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Naked Twin wrote:So I did some research as you bastards had me worried about my GTi. So I spoke with the service manager of VW (personal friend) the company he works for import more VW vehicles than any other in Australia and also works at one of the biggest VW dealerships in the country. I was thinking I must be the lucky charm for VW after what was said here as at work we have 2 golfs (both with over 60k on them) 1 amorok (with near on 70K in 18 months), had a tourag with over 100k on it when it was sold, I have a gti (110k on the clock) and a Passat (with 60k on the clock), None have had any major faults or continuing faults, in fact pretty much faultless.

most make it through the warranty ok

its after the warranty that the gamble is

my mechanic has seen transporters with just over 100K blow turbos

VW said $10K job

my mechanic quoted 10hrs and the turbo was $2500

took 3 hrs to get the front bar off to remove the intercooler to clean the crap out of it , under 1hr to remove the turbo

and a clutch in a transporter needs the whole front end ripped out

general rule of thumb , dont buy euro if you are arfraid of spending money on repairs
Johnnie5
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby born green » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:24 pm

philbo wrote:
fireyrob wrote:Thats cause its a ford :lol:

Anything older than 10 years your gonna start to get issues. Luck of the draw! V8's in stock form tend to have stronger running gear etc but who knows how its been treated. But then again current falcons have diff's going, current Commodore V8's can seize the drivetrains, Commodore V6 motors apparently have issues...

Just go buy a Getz and a trackbike :lol:

hahaha will a getz tow a trackbike :P

Getz wouldnt pull a granny off a pis pot :lol:
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby Strika » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Naked Twin wrote:So I did some research as you bastards had me worried about my GTi. So I spoke with the service manager of VW (personal friend) the company he works for import more VW vehicles than any other in Australia and also works at one of the biggest VW dealerships in the country. I was thinking I must be the lucky charm for VW after what was said here as at work we have 2 golfs (both with over 60k on them) 1 amorok (with near on 70K in 18 months), had a tourag with over 100k on it when it was sold, I have a gti (110k on the clock) and a Passat (with 60k on the clock), None have had any major faults or continuing faults, in fact pretty much faultless.

So here are the facts from the horses mouth - He has never seen a GTi or golf R with DSG or manual gearbox with major problems that he can recall that weren't a one off. He has seen the control unit go on the DSG which means no gears. The 7 speed DSG in the 118 golf had an issue with the dual clutch plates, since been rectified and is the one most refer to when talking about issues with DSG. On average they would see one golf a month where they have an issue with the control unit or the clutch and they service hundreds of golf's. In his words the 118i had the issue, the rest are typical of what happens in mass production and he has worked at Ford and BMW previously in the same role. He doesn't know why these same issues were transposed to Audi, his guess is a different clutch plate

It is funny though as I wouldn't rate the Subuaru based on what I have heard, yet many hear clearly love them, I had two of them the big issue being the cv joints though both of mine were fine apart from the cv joints I did hear that if you miss an oil change start putting coin in the kitty for a new engine.

As Marty has said, I have heard that Hyundai have lifted their game big time, if you talk to the grey nomads many rate the santa Fe as the best towing vehicle and tell you stay away of the landcruiser as it does gear boxes. Who would have thought? The same lad I mentioned previously who owns the rotary was fixing his nieces excel as it had done a thrust bearing, was 6 years old so out of the extended warranty. When he went to Hyundai to get the part they didn't even have number for it as they had never replaced it. He gets a call from their head office asking about details of the vehicles etc and if they can get the broken part as they had never seen it before and want to work out why and if their is a possible problem, how's that for follow up service. Still won't buy one yet.

If you want to know how bad a car is, go to the manager who looks after the second hand cars (trade ins) at any dealership, they will tell you what to look out for if their honest. My nephew was the one who warned me off the subuaru if you don't know the history and he is runs the trade ins for a holden dealership

He works for a dealership, so does not import cars. He works for a VW dealership, so will naturally defend his brand. Go talk on the QT to some of his techs and see what stories they tell you. I have no brand allegiance. I don't work for one particular brand, so have no vested interest in my comments. I work closely with service departments right across Oz. I can categorically tell you that they are a mechanical nightmare.... consider yourself kissed on the dick not to have any issues.... I wouldn't buy one with your money!

Subaru do not have the reliability they once had. If I was buying a car on reliability here is my order of preference.
Hyundai
Mazda
toyota
Kia
Mits
Scooby doo

the rest are average including BM and Mercedes. The French and eastern Euros are even worse....... :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby philbo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 pm

aardvark wrote:
Blurr wrote:
timmyrocks wrote:With everyone's experience with VW should I not be looking at the dual cab ute VW are advertising???

Your call but I wouldn't.

Me either. I've been researching dual cabs for a while now, with the intention of buying next year. The Amaroks don't really get that good of a wrap.

Rear seat leg room is important to me, so I'm looking at a Triton (the 2010+ models have a longer tray) or a new Ranger.

Philbo, just buy a Corolla and be done with it. :)

hahahaha thanks mate :kuda:
I was after a ford ranger but are holding their price and the new ones are way too dear for my liking :cry:
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Postby philbo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:22 pm

smithy5 wrote:Pfft, cars, overrated :roll:
Couple of wheels too many and a cage that wont allow you get through the traffic or get a good parking spot at your favourite blue oyster bar....
Just get a few bikes, one for every occasion, its not like it ever rains in WA.....

do want a postie as a run around :P

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby philbo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 pm

strika how do you rate suzuki's?

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:44 am

Philbo, some are great, some not so great. They were always bullettproof cars Suzukis with very few issues. However, since they started sharing engines with a Euro brand (Can't remember if it's Puegot or Renault) they have started to fall a little. I think it's only the diesel engines at this point. But something like a Swift or a V6 petrol Vitara is pretty solid. Just forgot to mention them as they are a smaller player........
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby dilligaf » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am

We got a Honda Jazz VTi (the 1.5 litre one) a while back and its a surprisingly good little car. Got it for about your money on a runout sale.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Postby Kwakked Up » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:12 am

Couple of wheels too many and a cage that wont allow you get through the traffic or get a good parking spot at your favourite blue oyster bar....
Just get a few bikes, one for every occasion, its not like it ever rains in WA.....

+ 1

Bikes are for sport, cars cannot compare. Keep the ute and buy another bike :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Naked Twin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 am

Philbo if you are interested in the Suzuki check who the importer was, there were two (might still be) one in NSW and one in QLD that imported the brand, so not sure what went to WA. The ones from QLD were a lower spec than those that came to NSW.

A bit of searching on the internet should reveal the details. If you want to know issues just search problems with "brand"
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby philbo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Strika wrote:Philbo, some are great, some not so great. They were always bullettproof cars Suzukis with very few issues. However, since they started sharing engines with a Euro brand (Can't remember if it's Puegot or Renault) they have started to fall a little. I think it's only the diesel engines at this point. But something like a Swift or a V6 petrol Vitara is pretty solid. Just forgot to mention them as they are a smaller player........

sweet as thanks heaps strika, yeah am looking for a grand vitara from bout 08 model, and 4cyl/v6 petrol engine looked at the specs of the diesel and dont like em, suzuki are like one of those small brands no one remembers :lol:
sooooooo what do you think of great wall :lol: :lol: :kuda:

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby smithy5 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Kwakked Up wrote:

+ 1

Bikes are for sport, cars cannot compare. Keep the ute and buy another bike :kuda:

Actually Philbo, your probably maturing a bit now and looking for some wife material......... Yes ??
The swag in the back of the ute just doesn't impress the ladies any more.... Yes ??
it's lost a bit of it's 30 seconds of youthful romance..... Yes ??
It might be time you step it up a bit and instead of throwing her on the bike, get a nice Panel van....
But keep the bikes. Just get something cheap for those romantic nights at the drive-in or at the local beach watching the submarine races ;) ;)
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby philbo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 pm

hahahaha cheers brad :lol:
bikes are not going to be out of my life its my passion, if i dont have one life's not worth living :twisted:
am keeping my eyes out for a good grand vitara 4cyl from bout 08 onwards, and will be more practical, no longer in the trade so the ute aint needed

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Philbo....... Great Wall are "Great Mate"......haven't you seen the ad??? :)

I think Great Wall can be hit and miss, with lots never having an issue and others going through extreme difficulty with them. One in my family's fleet is a diesel ute. The guys who drive it reckon it's one of the best utes they have ever had on the fleet. Pulls more weight, drive well and is comfy????? Then again, other have lots of niggly problems, so perhaps they are were the Koreans were ten years ago.

If looking at Vitara, go a V6 if you can manage one in your price range. They drive smoother than the 4, It's a really nice motor. Silky smooth and has a nice peaky top end to play with...... :)
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion