who here likes metal music?

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

who here likes metal music?

Postby timmyrocks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:30 pm

hey guys,
i have been in my band with a few mates for about 6-8 months and have finally got around to doing a live recording, its nothing special but it gives a feel for the type of music were playing.
we setup a myspace so if you like, id appreciate it if you have a listen and give some feedback :)

http://www.myspace.com/existwithinband

cheers guys
anyone can go fast in a straight line,,,,

Team Crash "09"

TE310 2011 Husqvarna trail bike :)
WR125 2004 Husqvarna :P
timmyrocks
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Other Kawi
State: New South Wales

Re: who here likes metal music?

Postby MadKaw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:25 pm

hmmm, do you know any Barbara Streisand or Barry Manilow tunes... Couldn't really sing along to that one.. :-)

Sounds OK TimmyRocks...and not bad for first effort.

You may want to try writing something a little different though as it was like a lot of stuff we've all heard before...Nothing wrong with that but it won't get you noticed..
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby timmyrocks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:42 pm

haha will mention it to the boys about the barbara streisand and see what comes of it :lol:

cheers for the feedback dave, we'll be hititing the recording studio soon to do it properly, hopefully be a bit clearer and stuff :P

were working on others, that to me have a different feel to them, so we'll have to wait and see what others think :lol:

Team Crash "09"

timmyrocks
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby photomike666 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Not a bad first effort - I've certainly heard worse. Aside from the mix, I think you each need to listen to each other whilst playing. It sometimes sounds like each instrument is battling rather than playing together, and when the tempo kicks off, you're drowning the bass.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

State: Victoria

Postby Glen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Sounds alright Tim

Are you playing live anywhere mate
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby timmyrocks » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:27 am

photomike, cheers mate :), yer its a bit hazy, we played it a bit quicker then usual and only realised it once we heard it back :lol:
i also had a poor setting on my amp so the bass is hardly noticeable, i was using my mates amplifier and didnt know where to set the eq, it sounded ok in the room but didnt really pick up to well on the computer.
all we used to record was a laptop coming from a mixer into a recording program so hopefully will sound a bit more polished and clear when we do it properly. Cheers for the input every bit of advice is usefull, as its better to hear it now then after a gig or something :D

glen, were hopeing to play a few small venues to get a feel for it, then we want to do a proper recording and try and get a few bigger gigs with a couple of mates bands who are already in the scene, if you interested i will let you know :D :D

cheers fellars much appreciated :kuda:

Team Crash "09"

timmyrocks
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby sneakypete » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:10 am

not too bad Tim... i would probably say my concern was with your drummers double kicking. i know its hard to get right, but the timing of it was noticeably out within the first minute. my drummer has the same problem sometimes, so it could just have been that take you did.
also - your quiet slow start should have a more pronounced "rest" before kicking in to the heavy riff.sounds too ruched. - just my 2c

bTW - love your guitarists Schecter..nice bit of kit and he's got some good pinch harmonics going on..plus he's a lefty - and we lefty's rule!!

tip: look up " shake shake bookings" or "shake that noise" on facebook. they book gigs for the Excelsior hotel in surry hills. Ron is a good guy, and if he likes your stuff...gigs aplenty..
1990 Honda RS250GP bike (race bike)
1992 Suzuki Across (GSX250)
1993 Honda CBR600
1995 Honda RVF400 (race bike)
1999 Kawasaki ZX9R
2005 Kawasaki Z1000
sneakypete
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby tim » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:29 am

sneakypete wrote: my concern was with your drummers double kicking

+1
Drummer needs to give his metronome a GOOD workout, with someone if he's not sure on practice method (eg get it perfect and relaxed at a slow pace, and increase methodically maintaining the same standard and feel etc etc to BEYOND the tempo of the tune). Possibly needs some retraining.....

Unless you're going to do a live take in the studio I wouldn't recommend go into studio until he can play the song well to a click track, metal drummer especially on a recording has to be ON THE MONEY!

But.... your first studio recording as a group is usually about learning to record and getting sounds and not really so much about the results.

Otherwise, same advice I told you before, learn to play some covers of the bands you guys love and NAIL THEM!!! Not average covers, but AWESOME covers. Helps with your live gig, but the main advantage is improving your cohesiveness as a band because you know WHAT you should sound like and can work on working together to make it. With originals you don't know WHAT it's supposed to sound like, so affectively you don't know if you're doing it properly, if you get my drift.

:kuda:
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby robracer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:52 am

OnE CoOmMent Tim....... Its no good having a good guitar if matt cant tune it :roll: first thing that jumps out is its way out, as far as the drumming goes, its covered above......... Keep it up mate it can only get better :supz:
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby King Nicholas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 am

G'day mate.
Top work mate.
It is very raw and I like how you have transitions in your track.
My bedroom is half recording studio and I used to write/arrange/produce hard rock tunes.
What recording equipment do you use?
Definitely play with you levels, microphone positioning, do multiple takes, edit etc.
It is a long and sometimes arduous process but you do it because you love it, right?
Keep it up and keep us posted with your progress.
F%^& the Austereo network.
King Nicholas. Keeping it unreal.
King Nicholas
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby timmyrocks » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:30 pm

yer the drummer only has just recently picked up double kicks, i trained him and he's still getting better.
next time were definatly getting him to listen to a click so its not as floppy :P

sneakypete, its funny u say that bud, we had a build up riff into the song but ended up scraping it as we liked it more sudden as its a bit unexpected. Mind you it would sound a whole lot better if we all kicked off at the same time :lol: and cheers on the gig info mate much appreciated :)

tim, thanks dude :), its great getting feedback, esp from like minded muso's :P. For a first attempt were all pretty happy and have had good feedback with stuff we now have to work on before we record properly to make it a whole lot easier. So i guess its worked cause its better to work on it now before we start giggin then sound like sludge on stage :P great point with the covers, and not knowing what originals should sound like :lol:, we have done a couple of covers and got them pretty slose and use them as warm ups, songs like happy from mudvayne and stuff like that.

not quite shore what you mean rob and the tuning??

king nicholas, cheers dude :) we just used the mixer at the studio, and my laptop with nuendo. Next time we will take more time to get mic positioning and levels as this was a spur of the moment thing and was a bit rushed :lol: :lol:

Team Crash "09"

timmyrocks
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby robracer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:56 pm

The guitar was out of tune Tim ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby timmyrocks » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:30 pm

my bass was :lol:

Team Crash "09"

timmyrocks
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby tim » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 am

Speaking of metal drummers, here's my favourite 2, Martin Lopez from Opeth, and Danny Carey from Tool.

2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby photomike666 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:15 pm

I quite like these three

Ulric/Travis/Jordison
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

State: Victoria

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion