Go Karts

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

Go Karts

Postby 98ninja » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Anyone here done go karting?
Im looking at a clubman 100s. Im not sure what to look for.
I did a drivers course in january and get to do some fun driving with work.
The bug has caught on and I can only do a trackday every now and then.
So, does anyone know what theyre looking at when shopping for a kart?
99 zx9r - back
98ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Re: Go Karts

Postby laidback » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 pm

It's been a while ('02) since I raced.

Depends what you want to achieve. You can buy an old hack and just circulate or buy a quality kart and be among the fastest.

Not sure if they do 'track days' like bikes but most club owned tracks have practice days.

There are 2 main components - engine and frame. Any frame that has seen a fair bit of track work is useless and karters are like bikers..."only driven on Sundays" is a common description...hehehe.

Make sure you get a frame that suits your weight as a thinner tube frame will flex a lot and alter handling and fatigue will set in. I used an Azzurro frame with 32/30 chrome moly - 32mm front tubes and 30mm for the rest.

Engine - all engines are equal and specs are very tight but some are more equal than others. Best way is to go to one of the top engine builders and see if they have any for sale. If not next best is to buy new, run in, then get blue-printed.

I found the rotax 125 ( quite a bit faster than clubmans) but far more fun and have onboard starter which is good for when you spin out although clubmans now have clutches so should make for less stalling. At WP clubmans were about 120kph and Rotax about 140-145kph on the straight with artificial chicanes.

Most meetings are run over weekends with practice on Sat and racing on Sun.

You used to be able to get a practice licence or race licence similar to bikes.

As with bikes go to some meetings and talk to racers and kart shops and find out what is the current flavour. The Azzurro (from Brisbane) I had was good when it was warmer but when colder the Arrow (Drew Price from Melbourne) was better.

If buying s/hand try to get one that comes with all accessories. Different tracks will require different gearing so a selection of sprockets say 3 front and 10-15 rear will be needed depending how serious you want to get.

Awesome fun but once driven a proper racing kart the hire karts are crap... :twisted:
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby red_dave » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 am

I found you have to tweak what ever you get to get the best handling out of it... Consider tyres and as quick maneuverability is the key...

You're welcome to take mine for a test drive at any stage to give you some basis for comparison... Pic below.

:kuda:
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby laidback » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:31 am

My Azzurro on the grid at WP... 8)

JCKart.jpg
JCKart.jpg (33.14 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
Roady - ZRX1200R

laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby MIZ RX3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:00 pm

red_dave wrote:I found you have to tweak what ever you get to get the best handling out of it... Consider tyres and as quick maneuverability is the key...

You're welcome to take mine for a test drive at any stage to give you some basis for comparison... Pic below.

bahahahahahahahah Bananas!

:kuda:
Pink on the outside, but still green on the inside!
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Ninja 250
State: ACT

Postby 98ninja » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:31 pm

laidback wrote:It's been a while ('02) since I raced.

Depends what you want to achieve. You can buy an old hack and just circulate or buy a quality kart and be among the fastest.

Not sure if they do 'track days' like bikes but most club owned tracks have practice days.

There are 2 main components - engine and frame. Any frame that has seen a fair bit of track work is useless and karters are like bikers..."only driven on Sundays" is a common description...hehehe.

Make sure you get a frame that suits your weight as a thinner tube frame will flex a lot and alter handling and fatigue will set in. I used an Azzurro frame with 32/30 chrome moly - 32mm front tubes and 30mm for the rest.

Engine - all engines are equal and specs are very tight but some are more equal than others. Best way is to go to one of the top engine builders and see if they have any for sale. If not next best is to buy new, run in, then get blue-printed.

I found the rotax 125 ( quite a bit faster than clubmans) but far more fun and have onboard starter which is good for when you spin out although clubmans now have clutches so should make for less stalling. At WP clubmans were about 120kph and Rotax about 140-145kph on the straight with artificial chicanes.

Most meetings are run over weekends with practice on Sat and racing on Sun.

You used to be able to get a practice licence or race licence similar to bikes.

As with bikes go to some meetings and talk to racers and kart shops and find out what is the current flavour. The Azzurro (from Brisbane) I had was good when it was warmer but when colder the Arrow (Drew Price from Melbourne) was better.

If buying s/hand try to get one that comes with all accessories. Different tracks will require different gearing so a selection of sprockets say 3 front and 10-15 rear will be needed depending how serious you want to get.

Awesome fun but once driven a proper racing kart the hire karts are crap... :twisted:

Ive been looking through ebay. But still not sure what to go for. Any recommendations or good buys?
Also im 104kgs and 6'3. Am I too big for go karting?
99 zx9r - back
98ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R

Postby laidback » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Never too big mate...but with 100cc and no gearbox...power to weight ratio is pitiful... 8)

Have seen guys our size running the national/J motors and having fun.

You would be doing track days at EC? If so I think The North Shore Karting Club used to have events there so probably best to get out to a meeting and have a chat to a few regulars who could fill you in on the latest developments. Not all clubs run all engine classes so best to find out what they do run, although this would not be a problem unless you wanted to actually compete in races. Any legal class of the AKA can practice on a licensed track.

I would go a new or near new engine (125) and frame (32/30). I think there are a number of 125cc engines used now. What ever you do don't get a first generation Rotax as they were dogs.

The reason I suggest 125s over 100s is that 125s don't require the rebuilds that 100s need. When I was racing clubman, I would do a top end rebuild every 3 race meetings and a full rebuild (about $450 then) every 6. :kuda:
Roady - ZRX1200R

laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Naked Twin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Funny myself and another are looking at the same thing. Eastern Creek carts are having a try out day in January where you get to have a go, don't know the full details as I am waiting for them to post up on their website.

With AKAnsw the 125 class is purely Rotax from what I can gather, interesting about the 100 class as it is promoted as the cheapest class, a rebuild is meant to be cheap? The 125 class is water cooled and was told this adds extra cost? This is a complete noob looking into it and only what I have been told.

I was out at Lithgow on the weekend checking out the North Shore Karting Club racing meet. Seems to me the AKAnsw is the most organised.

Nick
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby laidback » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Also check out the AKA manual - http://www.akansw.com.au/news.asp?catID=3

Ebay
Upper end buy - 280777937716
Mid buy - 220899170922
Lower end buy - 320798585973 - this seems a good buy although chassis a bit on the light side... :kuda:
Roady - ZRX1200R

laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Nelso » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:58 pm

laidback wrote:My Azzurro on the grid at WP... 8)

JCKart.jpg

Who's the young fella you had driving for you John?

Also, it's good to see Russ was looking after you with sponsorship back then.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby laidback » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Nelso wrote:
laidback wrote:My Azzurro on the grid at WP... 8)

JCKart.jpg

Who's the young fella you had driving for you John?

Also, it's good to see Russ was looking after you with sponsorship back then.

See what knowing youse all does to a guy...turns you old... :twisted:

Was the guy from Goulburn...Rob Ferraro or something like that...
Roady - ZRX1200R

laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:46 am

is NSKC using lithgow now?
lithgow is the home track to COmbined Districts Kart club was a member couple years ago.
i've been looking at getting back into the sport myself, but reckon the best option is to go towards the 125cc class, with a year old arrow frame. and if you head down the path of a weekend warrior its easier with the lecky start and water cooled, there are some bargains to be had.
but with the 100cc class with clutches now, i managed to stall it with the way i drove, when i was at coffs kart track.
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Western Australia

Postby Naked Twin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:59 am

philbo wrote:is NSKC using lithgow now?
lithgow is the home track to COmbined Districts Kart club was a member couple years ago.

They were on the weekend. Some of the set ups were unbelievable. The carts are worth nothing in comparison the trucks that were there!
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:10 pm

yeah so nothing has changed!!!
remember being happy putting my kart on the grid had no spare money for new tyres or other items but as long as i could race i was happy, now with what i know a new set of treads might have made all the difference :roll:
its good fun but, some people think they are the next best thing at racing
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Western Australia

Postby 98ninja » Fri May 04, 2012 7:17 pm

To revive an old thread