cars

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

cars

Postby philbo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 pm

well im in a bit of a slight pickle, am looking at replacing my car cause i'm over spending money on it because its at that age where everything seems to be going wrong or breaking on it, i currently drive a falcon ute, but am looking at buying a mazda rx8 but unsure really and cant make my mind up atm :oops:

soo do any people have any ideas or thoughts/info i should know?
i'm single so i dont need to be travelling with a family or kids and am looking at spending up to 18k

cheers
philbo
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Re: cars

Postby Johnnie5 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:03 am

i assume the rx8 will be older for 18K

so be prepared for the petrol station and if it goes pop then have a ready bank account
Johnnie5
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Smitty » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:19 am

Johnnie5 wrote:i assume the rx8 will be older for 18K

so be prepared for the petrol station and if it goes pop then have a ready bank account

very old...as the first one in 2003-4 has a Glass's guide value of 16-19000
I seriously would NOT be buying an 8-9yo RX8
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Postby BrettZZR » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Much as I love the RXs, no.

If I were you I'd be all over something like this.

Yeah yeah I'm openly biased towards Honda cars, but with something like this you have:
> Something different - not every plank and his brother has one.
> LEDGEND - wait-for-it - DARY reliability, in spite of revving it to 8000 all day long.
> Light on fuel if you only rev it to 6000 all day long.
> There is enough room in it for a single bloke to move house.
> Top-class chassis - better then the current one (ask Jeremy, he'll tell you), that you can throw it about when you want to and it wont bite you on the arse.

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Postby Naked Twin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Get a golf GTi. Germany may have lost the war but they have been winning since then with their manufacturing
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Postby Wattie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Naked Twin wrote:Get a golf GTi. Germany may have lost the war but they have been winning since then with their manufacturing

Just don't get a manual gearbox
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Blurr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Naked Twin wrote:Get a golf GTi. Germany may have lost the war but they have been winning since then with their manufacturing

Haven't had been to a vw repair centre then lately.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Postby Naked Twin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Have a manual GTi (maybe using the clutch for gear changes helps ;) ) and a diesel Passat. Yes service regularly at VW dealership, according to manufacturers specs.

GTi only just had the timing belt done, was not that much more than subaru that I had previously done 5 years prior and with inflation probably was the same.

GTi is 4 years old is faultless, thus my suggestion.
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Wattie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Buy a lotto ticket
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Naked Twin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:27 pm

I did, well two actually, one for the 100 million on Tuesday and one for the 21 million this saturday. If I win I will give you the GTi as evidence :kuda:

Seriously the only issues I know of/ experienced are that they eat oil, and the passenger door locks can malfunction but that was fixed under warranty. I should also point out that my wife's bridesmaid husband is the service manager at a VW dealership so I get told about any problems before I buy the car.

We have a couple of VW golf's (diesel) at work and again no issues, maybe you are bad luck!
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Jonnymac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Hmmm heard lots of bad things about costs once out of warranty esp gearboxes.

Get a Subaru 2007ish Rex around 20 with less than 100k on it
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby Johnnyflash » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Had lots of VW's over the years including 2 golf gti's. Most recently had a 2009 transport 2.5tdi.

I will safely say after spending big on repair bills, I will never buy one again! All manual transmission vw/Audi/skoda give horrific clutch problems and they're big $$$$ to repair! Dual mass flywheel is a curse.....

Suspension bushes disintegrating long before they're time, sensor failures, electrical gremlins.... List goes on!

German build quality my arse.... Buy something Japanese , once it's not a Mazda RX 8!!!!! There's a reason the rotary engine never went into mass production across all brands!
Johnnyflash
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby young1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Jonnymac wrote:Hmmm heard lots of bad things about costs once out of warranty esp gearboxes.

Get a Subaru 2007ish Rex around 20 with less than 100k on it

Nee bad...also have a look at the honda integra,s type R or S there around 4 about 20k philbo
Ive had a couple of them great cars.. vtec preludes also worth a scan.
Had 4 hondas from new & nothing ever went wrong with any of them mate..1 drivers side auto window in 10yrs.
The boy Youngs disciplinary record this week has been nothing but deplorable.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 650

Postby Naked Twin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Johnnyflash wrote:Had lots of VW's over the years including 2 golf gti's. Most recently had a 2009 transport 2.5tdi.

I will safely say after spending big on repair bills, I will never buy one again! All manual transmission vw/Audi/skoda give horrific clutch problems and they're big $$$$ to repair! Dual mass flywheel is a curse.....

Suspension bushes disintegrating long before they're time, sensor failures, electrical gremlins.... List goes on!

German build quality my arse.... Buy something Japanese , once it's not a Mazda RX 8!!!!! There's a reason the rotary engine never went into mass production across all brands!

So after all the vw's it took the Transporter to stop buying them? So either you are a slow learner or they weren't that bad.

The basic running gear, engine gear box has been used across the many platforms of VW, Skoda and Audi for very few issues considering how many were made around the world. A few internet searches will reveal the vast majority of most vehicles are fine but like anything imported when they break are expensive

I think if you do search you will find that every vehicle no matter what brand you will find an unhappy customer. The issue with Japanese is very few are doing a decent performance car within a budget, you are limited to the Honda type r and the RX8

The rotary actually is quite a reliable engine but highly misunderstood by the masses. I work with a guy who has one that does sub 10 second quarters road registered, but he won't put a roll cage and shutes so can't go back. In his words they are easy to work on and keep running you just need to know what you are doing. You don't win a LeMans 24 hour, smash the opposition in the 12 hour by luck. Fact is the issue with the rotary was not reliability but cost to build, however ultimately the real issue is the emissions, even back in the 70s to comply they had to alter the engine to meet the standard but that increased fuel consumption. The real issue with the RX8 is that they are so under tuned that they are really a disappointment for a rotary.

Having said all that, asking for advice about cars on a bike forum probably isn't going to get you answers. Would suggest jumping on the forums for those brands you are interested in ask there, even here if you ask about the 10 you will get an honest appraisal about them.
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby philbo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Wattie wrote:Buy a lotto ticket

believe i will :kuda:
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r