Riding gear and Clothing Discussion
Post a reply

Takamii helmets???

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi,anyone had any experience with the carbon fibre helmets by Takamii,cheers :?

Re: Takamii helmets???

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:09 pm

are the Australian standard approved?

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:33 pm

A guy here in Canberra has imported them and gone through all the AS stuff - definately approved for Australia.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:37 pm

A friend of mine has one as he is being sponsored by the above importer... they have met AS.

They're a little lighter than the Shark CF variants. The quality looks reasonable, and with a removable liner.

i like the idea of light weight CF helmets, just not the idea of testing their effectiveness...

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:29 pm

There's plenty of reviews on the other bike forums, such as Netrider and Canberra Riders

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 pm

I have some experience with them :)

in fact I am now prototyping the photochromic visor for them and am 85 % sure I will get AS1609 approval and that way they will be 100 % street legal ( see here in action http://takamii.com.au/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=19 )

my experience is that I am the importer and holder of the Australian Standards Cerification

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 pm

MotoLegion wrote:I have some experience with them :)

in fact I am now prototyping the photochromic visor for them and am 85 % sure I will get AS1609 approval and that way they will be 100 % street legal ( see here in action http://takamii.com.au/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=19 )

my experience is that I am the importer and holder of the Australian Standards Cerification

Good on you. I seem to recall a mention of this some time ago, so it is great to see your plans come to fruition. The more players in the market, the happier I am!! :kuda: Can't wait to try one on come replacement time.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:43 pm

MotoLegion wrote:my experience is that I am the importer and holder of the Australian Standards Cerification

You dont have any retail outlets in NSW? Might have to do a road trip to ACT 8)

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Strika wrote:
MotoLegion wrote:I have some experience with them :)

Good on you. I seem to recall a mention of this some time ago, so it is great to see your plans come to fruition. The more players in the market, the happier I am!! :kuda: Can't wait to try one on come replacement time.

Thank you - the support of the motorcycle community at large has been fantastic - they are really getting behind a little guy like me so I ensure that I do not let people down.
competition is a good thing for the community - it keeps prices down and manufacturers honest

The support from the larger motorcycle dealerships and retailers has been " we are not interested because it is an unknown brand and no one will buy it " which is a way of saying they are risk averse and not early adaptors

but thats okay because i will always bee a niche supplier

A comment was made about the "crash testing " of a carbon fibre helmet

I can not speak for other companies but the testing on my helmets shows that they provide more than double the protection as required and set by the Australian Standard

on my web page there is a link about carbon fibre and the manufacturing process if any one is interested (http://www.takamii.com.au)

The helmets take 25 times longer to make than a polycarbonate plastic one and are also hand made

By the way I developed a green for the Kawasaki fans

its a dark green as was unable to replicate the kawasaki lime green and still show the carbon weave

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Wattie wrote:are the Australian standard approved?

yep, Australian Standards approved, which if you read the lititure is better than many other country standards.
they weigh a total of 1300grams!!

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 am

robracer wrote:
MotoLegion wrote:my experience is that I am the importer and holder of the Australian Standards Cerification

You dont have any retail outlets in NSW? Might have to do a road trip to ACT 8)

There will be an outlet in Sydney within the next two weeks

I will keep you informed via this forum

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 am

Good onya ML, luvv'n the visor I hope it all goes well for you, when I am ready to change over I for one will certainly look at your lids.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:30 pm

robracer wrote:.....You dont have any retail outlets in NSW? Might have to do a road trip to ACT ........

Rob - you can have a look at these lids via Micks Fix - the mobile leather repair bloke who does most major meetings - fixing up leather race suits, modifications etc. I think he carries a small range of Takamii's lids, they are really light, and one day soon I better go and get mine from old mate !! :lol:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm

I have been contacted by the new NSW rep :D
Oh & Gos I have used Mick a few times, but did not know he was carrying these...... could be handy if you were caught out.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I have to update my lid. The chance to actually get my hands on one in sydney makes these top of the list now.
I was reluctent to buy over the net without being able to try one on first.
Post a reply