Bodywork Modification Discussion.
Post a reply

acrylic or two pack

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 pm

im getting close to painting the ocd. ive been given the option of two pack or enamel . Any suggestions or thoughts on this? its going to firecracker red with a couple of coats of clear over the colour. Im only asking because the 2 pack black i had sprayed on the frame is very brittle and hasnt stuck very well.

Re: acrylic or two pack

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 pm

2 pack needs really good prep from what PC used to tell me. Good in some applications and not so good in others......

I would probably do the bodywork in acrylic mate, easy to use and looks great 8)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Just dip my track bike fairings with Spray can acrylic so if you have a compressor you should get a good finish but as said before; its all in the prep!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:39 pm

I do all mine in acrylic - mostly because it is much easier to use.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Acrylic is easier to use and FAR less toxic too. Cyanide in Two Pack. You can just sand a run out of acrylic if you are heavy handed too. A mate of mine who used to live in Canberra had a shop refuse to sell him two pack to use at home- forced to buy acrylic instead...

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm

thanks for that info, fellas. I wont be spraying it, ( ive sprayed a few bowls in my time but not something for public viewing) but ive had a few offers to help out. my bro in law was a master spray painter and if he lived a bit closer hed be the gun of choice, but unfortunately perth is a bit of a distance so im going with the locals. Seems an old school bike should be appropriate in old school paint.
I can understand the shop refusing the two pack sale due to ohs reasons.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:06 am

From memory clear coat down not work on acrylic, it makes it blister. |Just wet sand @ 2000 and buff it up.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:40 am

Acrylic is old technology....2 pack is the way to go. ;)....if prepared properly as mentioned.

BTW.. acrylic can be, and should be cleared over mike.
Post a reply