ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc
Post a reply

ZX-6R buying guide - advice needed

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Hey guys and girls,

I've recently upgraded to by full bike licence after a long 3 years and now ready to upgrade the bike. I've just sold the 250R and i'm seeing a few 09+ model ZX-6R's on sale for roughly around the $9.5k mark with around the 18,000km on the clock.
In advance, I apologise for the following novice questions but I'm new to private second hand buying market. I would like to know from current or ex 6R owners if there is anything in particular I should be on the look out for in inspecting a bike? I'm comfortable checking out if tyres, brake pads, fairings and the chain or in a good or bad condition. Just want to know what are some tell-tale signs in other areas of the bike that I should be aware of, outside of obvious cracks or stress marks etc. Or due to by lacking mechanical knowledge, should I just pay for a full mechanical check?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brent.

Re: ZX-6R buying guide - advice needed

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Check that the stator recall has been carried out. They are know to shit themselves and were recalled in the 6r's and 10's

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Stator recall as Blurr has already mentioned, I had my clutch switch swapped out under warranty on the older bike also.

If you're looking at a 2 year old/20k on the clock, check to see if the valve clearances have been done, not exactly a cheap service.

Happy shopping, you should be able to pick up a deal coming into winter.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for the help guys

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Off the top of my head, do a few good stops and check for weeping fork seals after a test ride.

Take not of mods, exhaust or sprocket will make the bike sound/feel faster but both are cheap mods so don't let them sway you too much.

Mon May 06, 2013 11:17 am

I have a 2011 ZX 6R with 4500 kms if you want to buy. I have roadworthy etc etc.

2 brother carbon slip on. No other mods.
Attachments
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG (98.71 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Post a reply